We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capetown Day Tour

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
105 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Capetown Day Tour

We just did a day tour with Capetown Rainbow Tours and I wouldn't recommend them. There are alot of different operators doing day tours and the info centre can't recommend one over another so we randomly chose this one and were very dissapointed.

They were late and really the guide was little more than a taxi driver and at the end tried to charge us more than we had agreed to when booking at the tourism centre with is really a problem of a lack of communication between them and not us so we just gave him the amount we has in writing saying that was a contract and walked away - a dissapointing end to a very average day out in a beautiful city.

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Lucky and Lost Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
African Blue Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capetown Day Tour

Ally ~> We've never been to Cape Town before. We were wondering if we could easily see the city sights on our own? How long would you recommend it takes to see the sights of Cape Town?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capetown Day Tour

We have been here 4 days and I feel that is enought but it is all a matter of opinion I guess. Car Hire is easy to do and in hind sight we would have been better doing this as it was cheaper too. We just had a taxi driver who tols us that many drivers are also registered guides and would do a private tour for what we paid for the group tour. There are heaps of companies offering day trips tot eh point we just selected poorly.

We did however use a different company to do a Township Tour (green brochure but can't recall the name at the moment ) and I thought they were really good.

Enjoy your trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capetown Day Tour

Thanks Ally ~> I had the impression that Cape Town was a huge city and difficult to get around. Would you say it would be fairly easy to navigate by car as a tourist.

Appreciate your inside account as a tourist.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capetown Day Tour

I can recommend the Hylton Ross sightseeing tours. It's a great way to get an overview of Cape Town when. It's a hop on, hop off bus, so it's really convenient.

We did the tour about 2 years ago though when they didn't have the blue and red routes yet. But I really enjoyed it and so did my mom who was visiting from overseas.

www.hyltonross.com/topless-tour-cape-town.php

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capetown Day Tour

Hi

If you want to do trips on your own it is quite simple.

The trip to Cape Point does a circuit and you can ask in the tourist office for the route to be marked on the map. If you get lost which is unlikely then just follow a tour bus.

The trip to the winelands is a bit more complicated and easy in the same breath. You might get lost but find a gem of a wine farm to explore. There ios a guide book with all the wine farms marked on the winelands map.

I hope you enjoy.

6. Re: Capetown Day Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central