We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

UK
Level Contributor
515 posts
19 reviews
1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

Our plans for Cape Town are to travel from the airport to The Marine Hotel Hermanus staying for 2 nights. Then onto Knysna staying at the St. James for another 2 nights. After that, back to Cape Town for 4 nights and flying home from there. Does that sound a reasonable itinerary ?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
163 reviews
1. Re: 1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

It largely depends upon what you want to do and see. Personally I would spend 5 nights in Cape Town and 3 nights in the Winelands - say, Franschooek.

You could easily visit Hermanus for the day. Knysna is a nice town but it would not come on my top 10 things to do on a visit to S Africa, unless you have a special reason to go there. Your week in Mauritius will I assume give you a beach and sea experience.

cape town
Level Contributor
15 posts
2. Re: 1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

I spent my honeymoon in Mauritius December 2007.Wow what gorgeous beaches.

I think what you have planned is absolutely perfect.

Hermanus is a great town and the whales have arrived.If you do not spot any whales in Hermanus take a drive to Die Kelders,just ask the locals, they will direct you.

Whilst you there try the Burgundy restaurant.Unfortunatly although the restaurant at the Marine is good it offers no view.

It is quite a drive to Knysna from Hermanus,you might want to spend 3 nights there.

On route back to Cape Town take Route 62,different scenery.Stop at the Country Pumkin in Barrydale for lunch.

When you get to Calitzdorp and you might want to stop,stop at the Rose of the Karoo.Sandy is a great hostess and she has lovely cakes.

Enjoy Mauritius(you must get to Ilse DE Cerf)

South Coast
Level Contributor
153 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: 1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

I agree with Macsym...

The Winelands should not be missed. Cape Town can keep you busy for 2 weeks. There are plenty of reasons it keeps making the top 10 cities in the world to visit.

http://capetownguide2010.googlepages.com for ideas of all the things you can do. I'd skip the Knysna bit and drive to Franschhoek for a couple of nights. This will reduce the amount of driving too. The sea in SA will be really cold compared to Mauritius so save the beaches until then.

Have a great trip.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
211 reviews
4. Re: 1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

Hi

Mauritius combines with Cape Town sounds like a wonderful honeymoon if you ask me :-) I agree with the others when it comes to the winelands...at least if you have an interest in wine :-) I have been to Knysna and it was a cosy small town as far as I can remember. But there are lots more to see and do in the CT area :-) I have a Cape Town trip report that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you :-) Have a great honeymoon.

Regards

Gard

5. Re: 1 week Mauritius - 8 nights Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 06, 2009