We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa celebration - July 2008

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Africa celebration - July 2008

Hi all

We are celebrating 30 years of marriage by going to SA in July. (teacher holiday time). We are going to Kruger Park- week, Capetown -week and Central Drakensburg - week. Looking for recommendations of non-traditional events/trips. eg. Zulu culture, women's arts and crafts-self help venues, which wineries to go to, safari costs vs. do-it yourself, tips for travelling-eg.grocery stores,culturally specific things to do, generally the don't miss list of SA. Never having been - we are over the moon excited - Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday is also happening. We just found the forum and have read a bit but would like more info on above, especially Drakensburg- can't do a lot of hiking though. Thought I might donate some of my school "stuff" - any suggestions or places of need that you can recommend. We will have a car for Kruger and Drakensburg. Maybe Capetown too.

Thanks

Kathy

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa celebration - July 2008

To start you off...

Stay in Kruger - I'd stick to SA Park's Board and not the surrounding private camps. July's a good time; not too hot, and the animals tend to use the water holes as it's the drier season. And the water holes were purposely built near the roads you can drive along. It's cheaper too. Depends on whether you want to find the animals or have them found for you. Personally, looking for them is half the fun.

Cape Town - the waterfront is a good, central spot to stay. Good hotels and restaurants. Lots of day trips; by boat to Robben Island, by "hop-on, hop-off" double decker bus around the tourist spots. Trips to wineries (haven't found a bad one yet!) Safe to walk around, even in the evening. Maybe you should consider a night or two in Paarl / Stellenbosch area if wine's your thing. The water's going to be somewhat chilly as it's winter so the beach may not be on your agenda. It's also rainy season so bring a waterproof jacket.

Drakensburg - I always like staying at Champagne Castle Hotel. Excellent views of mountains. Guided walks. Central to other areas of the mountains. Food delicious. Sani Pass tour by 4X4?? Battlefields tour?? Drakensburg boy's choir?

The Natal Shark Board in Umhlanga is worth a visit and can be included in a day's drive from your Drakensburg accomodation. (2 hour's or so drive.)

You could divide your centre's choices into 3 or 4 night "chunks" - a lot depends on your needs and preferences.

Hope this has given you some ideas to further your search, I'm sure you'll get lots more!

Oh! Congratulations on 30 years.

Cape Town
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa celebration - July 2008

Hi Kathy

Congratulations on your 30 years together.

Your itinereary sounds great, Kruger is always wonderful and I would agree with Rog, stay in the park.

Shopping tips...as to everyday groceries or supplies, stick to Pick n Pay or Woolworths, Woolworths is a top end store in SA, but the meat and produce are fresh and good.You should do an organized township tour, perhaps stay a night in one of the established B&B's in Khayelitsha, they show you the local sites and crafts,take you to the local shebeens and empower the local people.Very safe and organized, so don't worry about that. Try the Cape Town tourism site for details of these and stick with an established,registered company.

Wine routes, I prefer Constantia or Franschoek, more intimate experience than the over-touristed Stellenbosch wine route. Do yourselves a favour and buy (100 odd Rand) the John Platter guide for wine when you arrive in SA, a veritable wine bible that shows you all the wine route maps and grades the wines on a star rating. A good guide to have even if you are just standing in front of endless shelves of wine in the supermarket.

You do need to hire a car in Cape Town or SA generally, it is a vast land and the transport system is not yet up to scratch.

Have a fabulous time, I hope you go home inspired by this beautiful land.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa celebration - July 2008

Happy anniversary in advance. Save your sanity with a couple of internal flights such as Kruger direct to Cape Town.

We often spend the whole six weeks sumer hols in SA and parks board accomodation in Kruger and the Draks helps. Have a look at:

kznwildlife.com/site/…

www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/default.php

If you're doing a week in the Kruger, move camps, make use of the game drives they offer to get started (day & night), perhaps go on a game walk with a ranger. Take warm clothes for the Draks as it can be frosty.

4. Re: South Africa celebration - July 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central