We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robben Island Ferry cancellations

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Robben Island Ferry cancellations

I heard a rumour that the new ferry is not working and that all trips have been cancelled over the last day or two. Can the locals on the ground keep us up to date on progress if there is any news on when it will be back running to time again. Also, if you have an existing booking can you get a full refund?

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

I can't answer the first part but I can answer the refund question. YES, they do refund your money. You have to ask, of course, but they will. Our ferry was canceled in January due to high winds and we did not get to go. Bummer, but at least we got our money back.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

Quite correct, the new ferry is not working and is out of operation. However, there are still other ferries operating (although everything today is cancelled because of the high wind!). If a booking is cancelled you will get a refund.

pinelands
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

At the moment - chaos reigns - the new ferry is broken and waiting for parts from Germany - the old ferries are constantly breaking down. If you absolutely must try and go DO NOT book to go on the day you are leaving - folk have been missing flights. The trip can be anything from 3.5 hours (a miracle!) to 6 hours (personal experience last week) and more.

They are very good at refunds (had lots of practise!)- even if they have taken off the stub and you get tired of waiting to board - you can ask for the stub back and you will get an instant refund - cash if you paid cash or a refund on your credit card.

If the new ferry ever does get going - it does take more people - so keep checking because at the moment they are not taking bookings to fill it - in case they need the old, smaller ferries - which would then be over booked.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

I will be so disappointed if we can't go, we have booked for 3rd April so hopefully by then they have sorted things out!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

3 nations,

I feel your pain. We were really, really disappointed. It was our #1 thing we wanted to do in Cape Town. I hope it all works out for you.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

I have booked the trip on 22/3. Will it be possible to be cancelled??

It's really disappointed!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

Hi- we have only just returned from Cape Town (8thMarch) and it was running for the majority of days the week before. Although we had a trip booked for the Tues 4th Mar which was cancelled due to high winds, unfortunatly this meant we couldn't do the trip as there were no other trips with any vacancies before we left at the end of that week. So book before you travel and make sure you have a fall back date as its a very popular trip.

charlotte
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

I was fortunate enough to take the ferry trip on March 10, but it was on one of the old ferries. The trip was wonderful, but the boat was a real dump! There wasn't enough room for everyone to sit, so make sure you get in line early enough to get a place to sit. By the way, our ferry was delayed one hour. The next day, I read in the local paper that the new ferry was out of commission.

For those of you who do get to take the trip, the guides are great. We had one former political prisoner guide us on the bus tour around the island and another former prisoner guide us on the walking part of the tour through the prison. Try to read Mandela's autobiography before you go -- the trip will have more meaning for you.

Pam

We loved Cape Town!

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

Thank you, carolblue...I'll try to get that book today.

Have another question....what are the restrooms like on the ferry? When taking a ferry in the country of Turkey, it was a disgusting hole in the floor. No way could I use the toilet.

charlotte
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Robben Island Ferry cancellations

Did not check out any restrooms -- it's only a 40-minute ferry ride, and there are restrooms on the island near the dock.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central