We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic

I know that Cape Town is a pleasant place. But when I read newspaper about Cape Town, it still suggests tourist not to go and walk alone there. So, is it true coz I expect I can be free there just like European countries, HK etc.

Exeter Devon
Level Contributor
901 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

Cape Town is like any big city during the day you are fine and in the evening around the V and A Waterfront you will be fine as there are loads of people about. I personally would not go wandering around the city centre alone as it tends to be very quiet with few people about. Get a taxi they are cheap.

South Coast
Level Contributor
153 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

Only a very few areas / suburbs of Cape Town are safe by European standards. So no you shouldn't walk around in the same way that you might in a European city without knowing a bit about each area. The V&A Waterfront and Camps Bay are popular with tourists and are safe during the day and during the night too (but always avoid quiet areas / streets as muggers exist all over the world). Central Cape Town at night would not be a good place to walk around alone. The same applies to Sea Point and nearly all other suburbs. Locals use their cars all the time. Therefore you will stand out as a tourist and with poverty all over South Arfica you are asking to be mugged. Use taxis at night if you are not driving. This should not put you off Cape Town but do not be naive to the risks facing all tourists visiting countries with significant poverty.

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

I just returned and felt very safe there. I live in Boston near Copley Square and would compare my feeling of safety to how I feel at home. Generally yes, no walking down dark alleys, stick to main streets and you should be fine. I stayed in the Tamborskloof neighborhood and walked home up Kloof Street every night. Cabs are also cheap. I felt much safer than when I visited Rome.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

I had no trouble in Capetown walking alone through the day whilst hubby was working. At night the waterfront is totally okay but I would use caution in town or other areas at night.

The markets in town can be a little tricky, just don't carry any valuables with you and it will be fine.

Basically, its the same as any city of the world, don't walk alone at night, don't carry valuables or walk down dark alley ways or stay too long in a bar.

My motto is "where something that you hate, no-one will rob you"..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

oops, spelling error... "wear something you hate !"

anyway, it works like magic....!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

Thank you very much for all opinions. I can get more sense about Cape Town.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

I also just stayed there in December and did not feel unsafe.

At the Waterfront and in Camps Bay you have many restaurants and shops in safe walking distance even at night (of course you have to be careful as in every other city).

About the city center: we were told that we should not walk there after the shops are closed as it is more or less deserted then.

Driving with our rental car was no problem, just be aware that sometimes people are walking right beside the highway - just be careful.

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

V & A is a tourist enclave protected by security so is safe. Treat the rest of the city like you would any other major city, don't walk around looking like tourists or flashing your wealth. Taxi's are cheap as chips, and most hotels offer a bus so I'd recommend that.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16,459 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

On my first visit to Cape Town, I walked alone from the neighborhoods above the city (Gardens area) down into the city, thru the Company Gardens and back up; also a few other strolls around the upper areas when going out for dinner. No problems at all.

On another trip I walked thru the city around Greenmarket square and St. Georges mall with no problems. I took pictures as I went along and acted much the same as in any other city. That always includes being aware of your surroundings and acting responsibly with your belongings. I would be more cautious if out at night, or in out-of-the-way places.

10. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central