We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours with smaller children

leicester
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tours with smaller children

Hello!

Apart from tours involving safaris, what tours are there that are good for families with smaller children eg aged 6 and 8?

Also what good activities are there to do in Cape Town for small children?

Thanks

Arpan

ireland
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours with smaller children

In cape town

Small kids would enjoy seeing the penguins on Boulders beach, cape point, the Kirstenbosch gardens, table mountain (by the cable car)

Our youngest had just gone 6, and she got a lot out of robben island, District 6 museum - it's clear enough to even a small child what that's about - and especially she loved wandering around the rocks watching penguins.

For tours, I don't know. We drove everywhere. You could take an internal flight ot port elizabeth, hire a car and do self-drive around Addo, staying perhaps in their forest cabins which are cheap and accommodate a family of four very nicely. The kids will LOVE addo! And driving yourself is so much fun

what time of year are you planning to travel?

leicester
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours with smaller children

I'm looking to travel at the beginning of this July...

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours with smaller children

I am coming to Cape Town in September and am trying to organize my activities for the 4 days. As far as timing and location what is best to do along with Boulder Beach that is in the same area or direction? The same with Hermaneus. I want to see both the penquins and whales but I think they are too far apart to do on the same day. Anyone been to both? And are they both worth seeing?

ireland
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours with smaller children

Boulders beach is on the way to Cape Point, which is well worth visiting. It's not the true "most southerly point" on the continent, but there is a sense of the oceans meeting there, and the scenery is spectacular. And the kids will love it also, as there are ostrich, and they can get out and run around by the sea.

Hermanus is not too far, though it would probably take in a full day. Easier to do boulders with a trip to cape point, take in some of teh crafts at the small but excellent informal craft market just outside the gate, and eat well in Fish Hoek on the way back

have fun

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours with smaller children

You certainly cannot do Hermanus and Cape Point/Boulders trip in one day. They are very far apart - from Cape Point you can look across the bay and almost see Hermanus but it will take at least 3 to 4 hours to get around the bay from Cape Point to Hermanus.

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours with smaller children

great pointers

and fnaughton.....no kids but I will love the ostrich!!!

ls
worcester, south...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours with smaller children

Hi Arpan,

Cape Town is a wonderful city when travelling with children. I have 4 year old myself. Whatever direction you take, you will be able to incorporate some activities for the kids - even when you go wine tasting! The estates all have beautiful gardens for the kids to run around in & most have some kind of animail (ducks, horses, ponies).

Then there's of course "world of birds", "animal Zone", "butterfly land", the Ostrich Farm, The well known Two Oceans Aquarium, and lots more! Try www.tourismcapetown.co.za for more info.

Just one more thing - July is the heart of our winter. Please be prepared for the rain. I would hate for you to expect the sunny SA we are so well known for, and be disappointed by the rain...

Also, the whales normally only start late Aug - Sept, but with luck some may be spotted as early as July. And they're NOT only found in Hermanus, whales can be spotted along the coast en-route to Cape Point all the way past Hermanus as far as Jeffrey's Bay if you're lucky!

Have a wonderful trip!