We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

We. are arriving in SA mid January for 2 weeks. We have hired a car and will drive from Johannesburg to the Kurger National Park and from Nelspruit through the Blyde River Canyon. My guide book (The AA Key Guide South Africa) under the section on safety states 'Hijacking hotspots include the approach roads to the Kruger National park'. I realise one needs to be sensible and take precautions like not stopping for anyone, don't drive at night etc. I am now beginging to feel very anxious, what if our hire car broke down. Even with a cell phone it would take a long time for someone to come to our assistance, meantime one would be very vulnerable on the side of the road.

I don't want to spend my holiday feeling afraid - can someone reassure me please.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

mercury50

In some ways I can sympathise with your concern but does the AA Guide back this up with any figures? How many hijacks have to happen in a place for it to become a "hotspot"? I don't use travel guides that spread alarmism without facts (well I don't buy another from the same company, anyway).

Perhaps a local can give us more up to date and meaningful information but I suspect that you're just as likely to get car-jacked around London - i.e. not very.

We've probably driven about 4000-5000 miles in Southern Africa without incident (except for one stupid piece of driving, by me, that I was lucky to get away with). Worry less, take your precautions and have a great time.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

Totally agree with Pandchris2, we have also driven thousands of miles in SA over the past 8 years and driven into Kruger NP many times. We have never had any problems with safety. We even had a car crash (due to a puncture and tyre 'blowing', no-one alse involved) and far from anyone trying to rob us we were given unbelievable assistance by passing motorists who took us to a doctor and phoned the car hire people, police etc etc.

So just take the sensible precautions you mention and you will have a great trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

Hello,

I'm another person who has logged a lot of time driving in SA (alone) and I've never had any problems even on deserted country backroads. Once I pulled over to take a photo and some local people stopped to make sure that I was all right and that my car wasn't broken down or anything, which was really nice.

Cheers,

Julian

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

Please feel reassured. You are more likely to be embarrassed by the helpfulness of the local people if you break down, than be mugged.

Do not spend your time being afraid. Be cautious, but not afraid.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
1,607 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

we have never had a problem, just use normal travel precautions.

enjoy and relax.......

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

Many thanks for all the replies - I feel very reassured.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

Like to add we too drove from Pretoria to Kruger, and had problems with our hire car. On the motorway, in an area with signs saying beware of hijackers, a man tried to flag us down, pointing at the car. We ignored him, but realized something was wrong with the car, drove off at the next exit, ent to a garage, and got the problem temporarily fixed, then on our way. (We had to get a replacement car at Nelspruit!)

What I am saying is do not worry. Enjoy your trip.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

official advice can be had at fco.gov.uk. Even the Foreign Office says carjacking at Kruger is unlikely. lots of other good advice there on driving in SA

9. Re: Car Jacking - Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 14, 2009