We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

differences

scotland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
differences

Can someone tell me if it iscooler in Capetown than say Simonstown. If it is 18 degrees inCape Town,will it bewarmer along the garden route andalong to Knysna?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: differences

Hello luvanimals,

It can be marginally cooler in Simonstown than in Cape Town. It just depends if there is a wind blowing from the sea. The closer to the sea the cooler it will be. There is usually stronger wind closer to Cape Point.

It is a bit warmer on the Garden Route because of the warmer Indian Ocean.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: differences

The thing about South African coastal weather is always the wind.

Most days are 18 degrees and sunny. The thing that makes them hot or cold is the wind. We have quite a lot of strong cold winds, which make the day cold. Even when a day starts perfectly beautifully in the morning, the wind can be howling by the afternoon.

Oh, dear, have I put you off.

scotland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: differences

We are coming next Tuesday andI was gonna pack crop trousers .and T shirts. But not so sure now. I don,t know what to wear now!!!!!!!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: differences

Definitely pack 2x something warm at least. You will definitely need warm clothing in the evening.

I can't speak for Cape Town or the Garden Route, but Port Elizabeth's weather is very up and down at the moment. Most days, although not necessarily all day, I am in long pants and a t-shirt and a light top over that.

Note - virtually nothing (apart from hotels) has central heating. If it is cold outside, you get cold inside.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: differences

It was delightfully warm in Simionstown a few weeks back (earlier in the southern Spring). It is sheltered from westerly winds so might feel warmer than exposed parts of Cape Town, if there's a westerly or southerly blowing.

We were out on a boat and I ended up with trouers that were pretty much drenched. We sat in one of the harbourside cafes and I had dried out within 15 minutes.

However, as you're travelling 1/4 of the way round the globe and will presumably be out at night as well as during the day, perhaps a range of clothing with at least one or two things to let you keep warm might be a good idea.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: differences

Or trousers, even.

7. Re: differences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 06, 2009