We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in SA

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 days in SA

I have 10 days in South Africa before heading to Mozambique. I've never been there and would apreciate advice on the best way to use those days... I'll be arriving and departing from Joburg. Also, any particular advice about safety? Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in SA

I'm anxiously awaiting any advise you may receive. I, too, have 10 days in Cape Town in December and looking for recommendations.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in SA

Recommend you fly to Cape Town and spend 4 days there. Visit

Cape Point Nature Reserve and Boulders (penguins), do a winelands tour (especially Franschhoek) and go up Table Mountain (cable car).

Then rent a car and drive along the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth with stops in Knysna (3 nights), Storms River (1 night) and then visit a Game Reserve in the Addo area before flying back to Johannesburg (from Port Elizabeth),

Budget airlines are: Kulula.com and www.1time.co.za

Good luck.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in SA

Thanks, any recomended game resort? How save is it to drive around those areas?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in SA

Suggest you visit a Game Reserve such as Gorah Elephant Park (expensive), Shamwari (expensive) or Kwandwe Ecca Lodge (expensive). Should you prefer something less luxurious, then there are several others to choose from. For pictures and information refer to www.bushbreaks.co.za; this company has special deals, primarily for South African residents but also for persons living abroad (speak to Alison). These reserves are situated in the Eastern Cape. Game drives are undertaken in Landcruiser vehicles (or similar) with a ranger; however, should you prefer to go to a Bed and Breakfast in the Addo area (less expensive) then you can take a day trip into a reserve with a qualified guide/ranger.

Suggest you search previous postings on the Eastern Cape Forum for comprehensive advice.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in SA

Thank you very much! This will definitly help to sart planing the trip!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in SA

For your safari I would rather recommend that from Port Elizabeth or Cape Town you fly to KMIA (airport near to Kruger National Park, some flights may be via Jhb). The best safari experience in SA is offered by lodges that form part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Specifically look at the Sabi Sand or Timbavati Private Game Reserve. They have excellent lodges and offer great big 5 safaris. In a 2 - 3 night stay you should have excellent sightings of the big 5 and many more animals. Rates depend on the level of luxury you want in service & accommodation, but of the more affordable lodges that you can consider are: Elephant Plains (standard accommodation), Djuma Bush Lodge, Inyati (all in Sabi Sands) or Gomo Gomo (in Timbavati, tented accommodation is highly )recommended

7. Re: 10 days in SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central