We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last two nights on itinerary Please help

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Last two nights on itinerary Please help

After advice on this forum we have decided to skip the coach tour and drive the Garden route. We have booked Cape town at either end of our holiday. Btween times we will fly to PE, drive to Kariega, and then drive to Wilderness/Plettenberg area for two nights. We have two nights left to fill. I am interested in the Klein Karoo and Hermanus. Would it be stupid to combine the two, and if not stupid should we spend a night en route, say in Montagu area. Is the scenery better on the inland route and can we get back to Hermanus easily- or should we skip Hermanus altogether? We will be there in November, which I think is the whale season but don't the whales swim past Plettenberg, where we intend to take a boat trip. I am confused- please hlep

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

In November, you will have a better 'feel' for southern South Africa if you return to Cape Town through the Klein Karoo. Hermanus won't add much to a trip that already includes plenty of time on the water. Montagu, in fact, would be a charming stopover. I live part of the year across the bay from Hermanus and whales are sparse by early November.

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

I would drive from Plett to Hermanus in land and spend a day in Oudtshoorn - loads to see - the Cango caves are beautiful and the history of the town is very interesting and you could even ride and ostrich!

You could spend a night in Oudtshoorn, or Mossel Bay, though Montagu would be a great choice for some "inland" time. I would then drive on to Hermanus and spend a night there (keep in mind Hermanus is only about 1 hour 20 mins from Cape Town). Come back via On Rus and then round thorugh Gordons Bay and the Strand or over Sir Lowrys pass

Glad you chose to drive instead of taking a coach tour. When you get to Cape Town, call in at one of the big book shops (such as Exclusive) and buy some of the beautiful picture books of the areas you are driving through rather than guide books. We have a stunning one called the Overberg and as my husband drives I sometimes amuse him with the stories of how towns got their names and who lives where etc - the local history is quite wonderful

have a great trip

CTCT

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

Thank you both- will definitely go through Oudtshoorn, and probably spend the night in Montagu. Hermanus presumably will also be possible on a day trip when we arrive back in Cape Town. The book sounds like a great idea

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

Hi, If choosing to stay in Hermanus then recommend Lavendar Manor Guest House. We stayed there in Sept 05 and had a lovely time. Oudtshorn would recommend Hog Hollow. Absolutely wonderful. We are returning to Cape Town in Jan for 2 weeks and are staying 4 nights in Knysa this time around as well as various other places. Having one night stopover in Mossel Bay. Have a look at www.portfoliocollection.com. We have booked lots of accommodation with them. Driving the Garden Route is much better than coach tour.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

Strangely enough I contacted Hog Hollow just this afternoon. The portfolio collection looks good thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

I stayed at Hog Hollow almost five years ago and it is still one of the most memorable places I've ever stayed....

7. Re: Last two nights on itinerary Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central