We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in South Africa in Sep

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in South Africa in Sep

I heard that Sep is the peak season for travel in South Africa, and that's why the prices of hotels will be expensive.

Can anyone tell me why is it so that Sep is the peak season?

Climate? Festival ?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in South Africa in Sep

September is not peak season in Cape Town. We are then just coming out of winter. I would imagine that "Peak Season", here runs from about December to April.

I can't speak for the rest of South Africa.

Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in South Africa in Sep

Many of the private game reserves regard September - April as high season, but for the rest of SA, I agree with the previous poster.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in South Africa in Sep

September is truly shoulder season. Some hotels extend low season rates until October 1, others just till September 1. The reason you see expensive lodging in Cape Town is: it IS expensive! Not yet London rates, but far higher than just a few years ago. The good news is that you don't sacrifice much if you move down to moderately priced properties. Cleanliness, service, these are still provided at a high standard.

4. Re: Travel in South Africa in Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 04, 2009
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor