We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

Washington DC...
1 post
How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

Hi,

My wife and I are planning on spending 4 days in Cape Town and 4 days in the surrounding area before heading to Kruger. I’m curious to get peoples opinions on how they would spend those 4 days outside of Cape Town. We will be in Cape Town at the end of August.

Our current lean is two spend 2 days in Franchhoek and then two days in Hermanus. We really wanted to drive some of the garden route because we have heard how beautiful it is, but after reading other forum posts, it doesn’t seem like 4 days is enough time to drive to Wilderness and back (we need to catch a direct flight from Cape Town to Hoedspruit) and still have a nice time. We really like wine and are looking forward to the winelands, but I’m not sure if it’s worth spending more than 2 days there.

Would love to get peoples general thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
10,129 posts
65 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

As I have said before in these forums, there are no gardens on the Garden Route. Part of its appeal would be the Touristy attractions. Some of them are on this site: https:/…garden-route-saf-wc-gr.htm

Tennessee
Level Contributor
22,243 posts
19 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

I agree that I would not do the Garden Route with only 4 days. It wouldn't do it justice and you'd mostly be driving instead of exploring the attractions. Plenty to do around Cape Town and winelands. End of August is also getting into wildflower season for the West Coast, so maybe there's an option for that?

Europe
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
29 reviews
19 helpful votes
3. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

A day trip to Hermanus should suffice so, as above, have a look at West Coast National Park. It's quite beautiful with the wild flowers in bloom but not only. You need to go on a sunny, calm day though, when the flowers are open.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

I second the West Coast , you could stay at Paternoster , but I have no idea if the village might be very quiet it being the middle of winter.

The whales should be around Hermanus at the time of your visit so you could consider a day trip or overnight there and a night or 2 in Franschoek. Once again winter is not the prime time for the Western Cape in my opinion.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
653 reviews
306 helpful votes
5. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

With 4 days, I would choose 2 nights in 2 places.

The West Coast is an excellent idea, as it is flower season. I have visited several times at the end of August. I always stay in Paternoster at Ah! Guest House. There are several guest houses and a couple of boutique hotels, and some very good restaurants. It can be quite busy as it is flower season. It’s about half an hour drive to the West Coast National Park.

Then I would either pick Hermanus, as it’s the middle of the whale season. Or the winelands, either Franschhoek or Stellenbosch

Gem, the end of August, is almost spring and I’ve spent some very nice holidays there at this time of year. You may get the odd rainy day, but also some beautiful sunny days with temps in the low 20’s.

It’s like everything has woken up. The birds are busy building nests, the vines are budding and the flowers are out! Also Cape Town is not so busy

Lisa

Edited: 6:22 pm, May 30, 2019
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

Hi Personally I would spend I day hermanus for the whales and fernkloof possibly as a day trip from Cape Town and then I would drive up the west coast via west coast national park and stay a few nights in the cedar berg and maybe do one night in the Karoo maybe tankwe Karoo NP or Namaqualand. But I love the wildflowers especially if they have had some rain

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
51 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

We’ve just returned spent 6 days in Cape Town, followed by 6 days in Franschhoek. 6 days in Franschhoek would be too long for most people but we had a great time visiting the wineries, eating in superb restaurants and just generally relaxing after our hectic stay in Cape Town. The scenery is stunning. This was our first visit to South Africa can’t wait to return, the West Coast certainly sounds appealing and we definitely want to see the whales!

Edited: 4:05 am, May 31, 2019
Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
949 posts
131 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

I would spend two days in Hermanus and two in Franschhoek.......I could spend a month in each....plenty of things to do in and around both towns......enjoy where ever you go 😀😀

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?

You should spend a full day seeing Cape Point and Boulders Bay. You could overnight in Constantia to try some wines. Then I agree with 1-2 nights in Hermanus to get an early morning boat ride and 2 nights in the winelands. If you enjoy wine tasting there is plenty to do and although the viewsare great if you are focused on the tastings then it doesn't matter so much if you don't get great weather (e.g. the mountains might be obscured by cloud some times). The wildflowers are nice too and can be combined with quieter less touristy wine and farmland areas.

Reply to: How to spend 4 days outside Cape Town?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted