We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in September

New Haven
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in September

Greetings! Heading to Shamwari last week of August then down to CT first week of September. Here are some questions that I would love a response to:

1. Staying at The Peninsula......any comments/advice? I have heard the Sea Point area isn't safe - can anyone comment on that also?

2. Planning a Shark Cage Dive.....who gives the best tour? Is it likely we'll see sharks at this time of the year? How long of a trip is it from our Hotel?

3. Want to visit a winery.....where should we go for a day trip?

4. Fine dining in the evenings is our plan.....please give me your TOP 7 fine dining establishments in CT.

5. Besides the sharks and the winery, we're pretty open to other "must-see" and "must do's". Any suggestions? We're very athletic, up for just about anything as well as interested in the local cultures.

6. What to pack.....what is the weather like at this time of the year? Is that water warm enough for swimming? Can you also tell me what kind of electrical adaptor is required?

Thanks to all who assist.

cape town
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in September

Hi there - I can answer some of these:

Sea Point - well I live here and I feel quite safe - we do have crime problems, just blend in, be aware of circumstances around you and behave as you would in any big city - the Peninsula is lovely

You are near the big Sea Point pool - people swim there all year round but the water is cold. You can walk all the way along the promenade to the waterfront - really nice walk and loads of people do this, spend some time exploring the waterfront and take a taxi back to your hotel

September is not summer yet. The days will be sunny and the eveings cool - pack layers. The South Easter will be starting to blow so good choice to stay in less windy Sea Point than say very windy Camps Bay. Temperatures are relevant - I don't swim unitl January, but my children swim all year round

hope that helps with these 2 questions

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in September

I agree with what Cape TownCapetown says.

Let me add some restaurants for you: Jardine, Ginja, Aubergine, Forty Ate, 95 Keerom, The Showroom, Manolo, Savoy Cabbage. You will find the web site: www.eatout.co.za useful. It lists restaurant details and also contains very interesting reviews. You will enjoy eating in Cape Town and the very best restaurants are only marginally more expensive than the many indifferent ones !!

You can visit the world's first city centre winery - Signal Hill it is housed in Mandela Rhodes Place (Church Street) right in the centre of the city.

For a day trip Constantia, Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschhoek are all easily accessible. There are very many good wineries many with good restaurants and Franschhoek is considered the cullinery capital of the country. If you can only manage one then Vergelegen at Somerset West offers lovely surroundings, gardens and fine manor house inaddition to good wine. Also Morgenster right next door is also worth a visit not only for the wine but some of the world's best olive oil. Enjoy!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in September

I recommend this operator for the shark diving experience: http://www.white-shark-diving.com/ .. I've been with them 3 times.. good crew, new boat, very professional. All operators charge basically the same - 1300 rand - a little under $200. This pays for transport to the boat and back - about 100 miles each way from Cape Town.. snacks, lunch, wet suit, goggles, etc., and about 4 hours on the boat. If you drive yourself, I think the cost is 900 rand p.p. You might enjoy driving out to the area where the boats depart and spend one of your nights there - because it is also the best place in the country to see the whales - which are plentiful in September. De Kelders is the place I would recommend for the overnight. That's where I live part of the year, and it's a nice 'taste' of quiet living in South Africa.

Weather? Absolutely unpredictable in September. It can be glorious, or chilly & windy & rainy.

Here are good places to do some research on the wine experience: http://www.wineroute.co.za/welcome.asp http://www.franschhoekwines.co.za/

Best thing about it? The lovely scenery. Just an hour from Cape Town to Stellenbosch, a little farther to Franschhoek.

cape town
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in September

Hey Mac- Can you tell us any more about the city centre winery - I want to go - is there a web site?

95 Keerom is getting very good reviews

Don't forget tea at the Mount Nelson - such a part of Cape Town - you would need to book for a Sunday

Has anyone tried the revamped restaurant at the Vineyard Hotel - I figure its an evening thing as its alsways closed when I walk past around lunch time?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in September

Hi CTCt

yes Signal Hill does have a web site: www.winery.co.za

check it out - or better pay it a visit. Just say to Dean that Michael sent you and you will be well looked after! It is open from 10 am till 6pm in MandelaRhodes Place, Church Street.

Also in the same building is Winesense where you can sample up to 70 wines

Have fun and enjoy

cape town
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in September

thanks - that's great - I am going away gor a couple of weeks but will defiantely check it out when I get back.

Have you tried Madame Zingara's in the tent yet - you need to book ages in advance - haven't been yet - also on my to do as soon as I get back list

CTCt

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in September

I would pack a swimming costume (bathers?) and a warm jacket.

cape town
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days in September

Haha Lamlee - that just about sums our weather up - never boring - believe we're in for a cold week ahead though!

9. Re: 7 Days in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 03, 2009