We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon advice please!

Dublin
13 posts
Save Topic
honeymoon advice please!

Hello all - we are planning our honeymoon for end of may 2007. We have 10 days in total - thinking of 4/5 nights in cape town, followed by night or 2 in winelands and then hire car to drive along route 62 to get in some of garden route.

Any advice on where to stay in cape town? we would rather not stay at the waterfront, but somewhere where we could get a taxi in to cape town easy enough. have been recommended the vineyard hotel - anyone any comments on this? any other suggestions?

also if anyone has any itinerary advice/ places not to miss/ places to stay in - would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon advice please!

Hi there

You can get further info on Route 62 at www.route62.co.za but Route 62 is not part of the garden route. The garden route basically is the coastal area next to the N2

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon advice please!

Hi Maire,

Welcome to the forum. As the previous poster stated, Route 62 is not the Garden Route, but often used to complete a 'round trip' eg. Drive route 62 to Oudtshoorn, see the sights there, then drive across to Goerg, Knysna etc and go back following the Garden or Coastal route. The prettiest part of the Garden Route is from Mossel Bay through to Plettenberg Bay.

If you choose to do Route 62, perhaps take 2 days to drive there so you can stop a lot and check out some of the quaint old towns, give yourselves one night in Oudtshoorn with a full day to see caves, Ostrich farms etc. then stay in either Knysna or Plettenberg Bay and use that as a base to do day trips around the area.

I like the Vineyard Hotel, it has a very good reputation and would be lovely for a honeymoon, but it will cost you a fair amount to take a taxi from there to Cape Town or wherever. Perhaps you could email them and find out if they offer any sort of shuttle service for guests. The closest 'tourist' venue to the Vineyard is Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, but you would need a taxi to get there. There is a very nice shopping mall called Cavendish Square within walking distance of the hotel, there are lovely shops both in the mall and down the one surrounding street. There are also movie theatres in the mall, so that would be fine. This is a safe area to walk in the day, not so sure about night, but I will be interested to see what others say. Perhaps it would be fine, it's only about a 5 minute walk.

If you decide against the Vineyard, then Camps Bay is also lovely.

Let us know how else we can help.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon advice please!

Hi Maire,

What a great place for a honeymoon.

If you are looking for somewhere close to the Waterfront but not in it, why not look at boutique hotels in the City Bowl? I don't know any by name specifically, but I know from my web travels that they are considered a good choice.

That would get you closer than the Vineyard (which BTW is a beautiful, tranquil choice, just not an easy taxi ride to the V & A.

The Radisson is a great choice, not actually in the Waterfront itself but close.

Best of luck.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
171 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon advice please!

HI

I would recommend the Camps Bay area of Cape Town. We stayed at a B&B in Camps Bay called "51 Camps Bay". It was great. There are 4 rooms (we stayed in the honeymoon suite - complete with 4 poster bed - although it wasn't our honeymoon!). They really looked after us and it's only a 10 minute taxi into the city centre.

Can provide more info in required.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon advice please!

Hi again Maire,

Just to encourage you about Route 62...

We are Capetonians but just explored the R62 for the first time last September and have already been again. It is a wonderful route, very different from the Garden Route but with rugged and majestic scenery. To my mind it is much more a reflection of what much of South Africa truly is - small rural towns, soaring skies and mountain ranges (in this case), wide open spaces and friendly down-to-earth folk.

We stayed just outside Oudtshoorn at a place called Kruisrivier - not luxurious so maybe not honeymoon material but we have been back twice, we liked it so much...

6. Re: honeymoon advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 01, 2009