We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

We have just booked flights for a 16 day holiday to Cape Town and surrounding areas in November. Have not booked any accomodation yet as am busy planning the route. Our plans are to spend 3 days in Cape Town, 2 days in the wine area, then taking 2 days taking route 62 down to Port Elizabeth, 2 days in a Game reserve,4 days along the garden route and then 3 days around cape peninsula area. Does this sound feasable with in the time and would you make any changes to the schedule?

Any recommendations for good game reserve to stay?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,820 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

Sounds feasible. Can't help with the game reserves because I have only visited the reserves in the north east. Addo seems to get good write ups and may be a little less zoo-like than most in the area.

You'll find driving quite easy compared to home - but try to get a decent map.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

We're just back after 3 weeks in SA, including 8 nights in Cape Town, where we found lots to do, including trips out to the wine lands and to the cape. Your plan sounds fine, assuming you're hiring a car, which I would certainly recommend -- driving there is easier than many places in the UK, once you've mastered the "4-way stop".

Can't comment on game parks in the south; we went to the Kruger NP. (Incidentally, we flew between Joburg and Capetown with the low-cost airline 1Time, which was excellent.)

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

Hi Kathy, your plan looks good to me, I'm afraid I also can't comment on the Game reserves, but perhaps Lamlee will, that is her speciality. My suggestion regarding the Garden route is to stay for 3 days in one place and go on day trips from there, and then spend two days returning to the Cape Peninsula. You can actually see all the pninsula things from a centrally situated place such as Cape Town or Camps Bay and also do day trips, unless you would prefer to be near an actual beach. The good swimming beaches are Fish Hoek and Gordons Bay. St James is also alright but gets very crowded, Camps Bay is a beautiful beach but freeeeezing cold water, same for Blouberg.

The 2 days in the wine area is a good idea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

Hello,

Sounds like you have a nice trip coming up! I'd strongly recommend adding a day to your safari and taking one from the Cape Peninsula (as others have noted the Peninsula can be done as a day trip from Cape Town).

If you want to stay in the Cape, the best reserves would be the ones near Port Elizabeth. If your budget can manage it I'd recommend looking at some of the private reserve -- Kwandwe is excellent!

http://www.kwandwe.com

However, from a game-viewing stanpoint I'd recommend flying from Cape Town to Nelspruit just west of Kruger National Park and staying in one of the private reserves in the Sabi Sands. This area has the best game-viewing in SA and lodges to fit a wide range of budgets.

Personally, I prefer the eastern sector of the Sabi Sands (Singita, Londolozi, Mala Mala) as the reserves are much larger and there are fewer camps and thus fewer vehicles around. You can drive off-road and at night and spend as long as you want at a sighting without being pressured to move on, as can occur in the western side of the Sabi Sands where there is a higher vehicle and lodge density.

If the eastern sector is a bit too expensive, the northern sector (Djuma, Elephant Plains, Chitwa Chitwa) is also very good.

Cheers,

Julian

rugeley, england
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

Hi , just got back after a similar itinary, sounds great to me. we finished off with a chill out 2 nights in the villa via hotel in gordons bay- very nice area, safe, great beach walking. Also near to excellent shopping mall in somerset west. ( take an ampty case as the clothes in Woolworths ( not like ours) are top class and cheap!)

Amakhala game park , 40 mins from pt elizebeth was excellent.

I can recommend the paxton hotel in P.E and the ph plettenburg bay- both excellent 4 star hotels.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

We are thinking at staying at Amakhala, which lodge did you stay in? We have been looking at Bukula lodge it has had some fantastic reviews. Like you we want a couple of days at the end to chill out so will have a look at you recommendations.

Addo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

Hi

I would definately recommend that you visit Addo Elephant National Park and its surrounding area. The choice of accommodations near the park is huge, and other game parks such as Amakhala, Baauwbosch and Kwantu are so close that you could easily do day visits to this National Park if you wish.

go to www.greateraddo.com for more info

You will need at least 2 nights 3 days in this area as there is so much to do and see - it all depends on your interest such as hiking, horse riding, garden tours or just relaxing and watching the sun set. Your budget will definately be the deciding factor as to where to go and what to do.

8. Re: Advice please on 16 day holiday to Cape Town & beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central