We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

5 posts
Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

Hi,

So after lots of saving, we’ve booked a 2 week trip to Cape Town for the beginning of April. We are now hearing of the drought & water restrictions and ever so looming day zero. We are staying in a b&b not hotel while there so we’re wondering, do we cancel the holiday or go anyway?

We’ll be leaving a week before day zero. I’ve travelled to remote parts of Africa before where we’ve had to walk to get water from a pump so I’m happy to shower once a week. But we’d like to know if there’s problems with supply of bottled water for drinking? I don’t want to get there to find the shelves empty from panic buying!

Any advice to anyone who is out there currently or on their way back would be greatly appreciated! I’m so desperate to go!

Becca

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
88 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

If the worst happens we will have drinking bottled water brought it from other regions.

Check all the other posts about this topic to get more general info.

I can't tell you to cancel or not ... part of me reckons we won't get to Day Zero, another part of me thinks we might. It's quite frightening but it's THE number one topic at the moment and if people just stop wasting and reduce consumption we'll be okay.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
81 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

Please do not cancel your trip to Cape Town. Come and visit and explore the regions of the cape.

All the best!

Hank Daries I Ulungele Tours & Safaris I Cape Town & South Africa

Guadalajara, Mexico
1 post
3. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

I'm kind of in the same situation but I arrive to Cape Town on 19 April and my flight back is on 30 April. I don't know what to do...if you get info about this please share it. Thank you!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
88 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

Which hotel are you booked into? It will make a big difference.

5 posts
5. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

I’m booked into a small bed and breakfast near the VA Waterfront. How is the situation been this week?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
88 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

Nothing has changed this week and it's not likely to change by the time you get here except that we have to use even less than ever from 1 Feb.

In April the taps may be cut off (I say may because if people stop wasting we may avert that) but the centre of Cape Town (i.e. the city) will not be cut off. The V&A Waterfront is usually treated the same as the city and hence some areas close to it may benefit.

All of this is uncertain because of 2 elements: 1: nature - a miracle may happen and we might get loads of rain in the next 3 months, i.e. not likely. 2: human nature - 60% of Cape Town residents have NOT been keeping their usage below the limit imposed but now they may wake up as a result of the imminent Day Zero (no water in taps) and the very high costs of water which will start next month for abusers.

Check again closer to the time but seriously ... don't panic, don't cancel. The municipal powers that be are still hashing out the details of what and how all this will work from Day Zero so keep checking in.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
88 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

PS: if you tell us the name or address of your B&B we can tell you if it falls in the city or not.

5 posts
8. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

Hopefully people cut their consumption down. Is the water tax not happening now?

We're staying at House on the Hill 5 Norman Rd, Green Point, Cape Town.

Thanks for all your help on this! Really appreciate it. The media over here in the UK haven't said anything about what is going on.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
88 reviews
30 helpful votes
9. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

Ok, Green Point is close to the city and Waterfront but may not fall under the 'taps on' area. We'll know more a bit later so keep checking.

You've got bigger current things to report on in the UK at the moment, like Brexit :-) but it is rather strange that nothing at all has been said because many Brits come to SA and many have family here. When they do report be wary of how all media report things abroad badly so don't take it all at face value.

One news site here you could keep an eye on is www.news24.com

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Cape Town April holiday & Day Zero

The drought, as far as I know, has not been mentioned on our UK news broadcasts, as Francoise states our media coverage is about matters that relate to the majority of UK citizens such as Brexit negotiations, outbreaks of flu that are putting our state health system under strain, and the collapse of a construction company with the loss of many thousands of jobs. How Cape Town's water shortage will effect tourism is well down the list of interest to the majority of UK residents.

However, the BBC News Business section ran an report with the dramatic heading 'will Cape Town be the first city to run out of water?

there have also been several reports in our newspapers, but usually in the Travel section and our Government has a short item warning of water shortages .www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-Africa

telegraph.co.uk/travel/…

you will find more information on this forum from local such as Francoise and I thank her for giving the link to news 24.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5284441/Cape-To…