We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM Flight to CT cancelled - Inadequate compensation?

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
KLM Flight to CT cancelled - Inadequate compensation?

Hi there, i dont know how relevant this is to the forum, but i just thot id post this to see if any one has had the same experience or any advice.

My partner and i were due to fly to Cape Town on Boxing day with KLM, however before boarding we were told there were technical difficulties with the plane, and after waiting an hour, were finally told the flight was cancelled to Amsterdam, where we were supposed to get our connecting flight to CT. After 2 hours wait we were rebooked on a BA flight but had to wait 14 hours before it departed. We flew to Johannesburg and our connecting flight there was delayed (surprise, surprise....). We finally arrived in Cape Town 17 hours later than we were supposed to, missing out on nearly 1 whole day of our holiday, which is a hell of alot when you only have a weeks holiday. Not to mention the money we lost as a result, ie hotel bookings, excursions, etc.

After returning to the UK, I sent a letter via Flight center (we made the booking through them) to KLM to make a claim for compensation. On their website they actually state that they do compensate passengers for delays longer than 5 hours or if the flight has been cancelled. Based on whether the flight was within the EU or international (over a certain amount of airmiles), compensation was given in the form of cash or credit vouchers.

Six weeks later Flight Centre received two credit vouchers to the value of £250 each for both my partner and I, but this was only to be used on KLM flights within the next year. I might sound very ungrateful but i was not happy with this but as we are hoping to buy a house this year, going on holiday is an expense we cannot afford. Even though we would have £250 discounted off any flights we may take with KLM, what about accomodation, spending money and perhaps the added pleasure of paying extra should our flights cost more than the voucher?

I rang KLM to query this and was told that these vouchers were a gesture of goodwill because they feel we were not due any compensation as it was technical fault on the plane, they were not liable to pay anything, regardless of the expense and inconvenience to us.

Has anyone had a similar experience in trying to claim compensation from KLM or any airline for that matter?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: KLM Flight to CT cancelled - Inadequate compensation?

Delighted. Enjoy some good old Dutch beer and hospitality.

The Airlines sure take advantage of loop-holes.

12. Re: KLM Flight to CT cancelled - Inadequate compensation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:28 am, August 29, 2009