We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Adrian & I are planning a trip to South africa and arrive on 2nd March we have our first 4 nights in cape town and were thinking about pre-booking to go to Robbins Island, and table mountain and possbile a helicopter flight just wondered if anyone knows of web site we can book these.

Is it possible book over the web before arriving in cape town.

Any recommendations would be greatly received.

Many Thanks

Annette

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Annette,

If searching the internet doesn't come up with anything, try "Robben island". :-)

I've heard of people pre-booking, so there probably is a web site.

I wouldn't pre-book Table Mt. Go up it the first opportunity you get, in case the weather changes. Don't know about helicopter rides, but presume there must be some as it is a very scenic city. Enjoy.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Hi annett,

Here is a web site for Robben Island, but quite a few people have complained on this list that they don't reply to their emails, whereas they will book telephonically, so if you can bear the expense of the international call, that may actually be a better option. It is definitely better to book for Robben Island:

http://www.robben-island.org.za/

Regarding Table Mountain, the cablecar should not be too busy right now, so that would be fine if the weather is not too windy. If you were planning on walking on the mountain, unfortunately we have had a number of muggings to people on the mountain lately, the Cape is up in arms about it, because our Mountain is our treasure, but I would not recommend that you go with just two of you on a hike, The cable car and the busier areas are fine.

The helicopter: Here is a site with a lot of tours on offer:

http://cybercapetown.com/Civair/

and also the company that leaves from the V&A Waterfront:

www.tablebaydiving.com/helicopter-tours.shtml

Hope you have a good time.

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Many Thanks for your help really looking forward to our trip. Annette

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

For flights and other things to do for andrinalin junkies check out www.experiencethis.co.za

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Just a word of warning, we have just come back from touring South Africa and spent our first 5 days in Cape Town. To try to be organised we booked our trip to Robben Island on the telephone a week before leaving U.K. When we turned up to catch the boat we ere told that it was too windy and all sailings were cancelled. The next available booking was on the tuesday, 3 days later.

Again we went to catch the 11.00 am sailing on the Tuesday but was told it was delayed and no one could tell us what time it would leave. We waited until 12.30 and still no news so in the end we cancelled again and had our money refunded.

Whilst on safari we met another couple from the U.K. who had managed to get over to the island, an hour late, but the weather changed and they had to come back by rescue boat which was a really bad crossing.

I'm sure that it is worth visiting but if, like us, you are tight for time be prepared.

Flossie

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Thanks so much for your tips it really gives you a picture of what to expect. No reply to our Email to book Robbens so will call them.

Thanks again

Annette

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Hi again,

I just thought I'd mention in case you were interested, that a few years ago I sang in the Opera chorus of the Beethoven opera Fidelio, which is about the freeing of a political prisoner. This production was sponsored by Norwegian National Opera and it took place on Robben Island in the middle of the prison. It was an incredible experience to be a part of this. We went over to the Isand every day for a week and the whole opera plus audience were transported there. It was incredible and I loved every minute of it, really moving being there and looking through the prison and imagining how awful it must have been to be incarcerated there for so long.

I really hope you can get there. It made a lasting impression on me.

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Just wanted to say how lucky are we as we arrived yesterday to perfect weather and got up table mountain with the most amazing views and today had pre-booked our trip to Robbens for 8am it was very overcast but we had a great trip over, no hassel or delays and the weather at Robbens was much better than Cape Town we had no rain the whole time and very interesting tour. We arrived back to very wet weather but spent the afternoon at the aquarium and shopping at V&A what a great start to our holiday. Thanks again for all your help

Annette

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

Enjoy annette

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Robbins Island & Table Mountain

I'm so glad it worked out for you. Hope you have a really great holiday.

The weather at the moment is my favourite.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central