We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

5 posts
1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

Hi!

We have one month in South -Africa and since we are traveling with young children (2 and 5) i thought of a route that takes it slow (this is: limiting the places where we will stay - limited driving - certainly no daily driving (except day trips of course )).

But some feedback from experienced travellers in this region is very welcome!

This is our itinerary so far:

6 nights Cape Town

3 n Franschhoek (and surrounding cities)

1 of 2 n Barrydale (i'm thinking of two nights in order to avoid two days or traveling, but no idea if this village is interesting enough)

4 n Oudtshoorn and surrounding (with visit to Prince Albert)

3 n Knysna

4 n in Plettenbergbaai or nature's valley

4 n near Addo Elephant Park

> flight back to Cape Town.

Any thoughts??

Thanks a lot!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: 1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

No need to stay in both Kynsna and Plettenberg, they are only 30 minutes drive apart.

As you are staying the whole month in the Cape area, I would consider a night or 2 up the West Coast staying at Paternoster.

I would also consider a couple of nights actually in the Addo itself, staying at Sanparks accommodation..

I can appreciate you wanting a slow trip with small children but much would depend on what time of the year you are going. Good weather would much enhance the trip if you are going in their summer, the Cape winters can be damp, windy and chilly.

Edited: 9:15 am, September 25, 2016
5 posts
2. Re: 1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

Thanks! I Will take a look at those places! We are going mid February till mid March. I think weather is ok at that time?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
623 reviews
3. Re: 1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

Mid Feb to Mid March is very nice weather. It is peak season, particularly the earlier part of your trip. This means accommodation gets booked up. You might want to think about booking places sooner rather than later. I had to change my route, as I couldn't get the dates I wanted in Paternoster for the end of February.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: 1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

But Lisa will only stay at one place in paternoster - isn't that true Lisa!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
623 reviews
5. Re: 1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

Yes Joyce that's very true! But it's not always easy to get in now at Ah!

Back in South Africa in just over 6 weeks :)

6. Re: 1 month - Cape Town to Addo Elephant Park - feedback welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 27, 2017