We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

hi

me and my girlfriend are trying to organise our honeymoon in south Africa. We are planning on staying in cape town for 5 nights and then traveling along the garden route. We would like to do a safari whilst we are there for two nights, preferably on a big 5 game reserve. Gondwana and sanbona wildlife reserve have been suggested. Can anyone comment on which is better or is there a better place to stay?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

If you are going all the way to Port Elizabeth then I would recommend staying in one of the private games reserves in that area but if you do not want to travel that far then I would opt for Sanbona. It is a huge reserve and very beautiful. Although the game viewing is not as good as the resrves close to Port Elizabeth, in my opinion, it is easily ther best option close to cape town.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

As you are already doing the Garden Route you should push on to Port Elizabeth & visit a reserve there especially as it's your honeymoon, you will never forget it. What time of year are you intending to visit ?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

Besides these 2 Game Reserves, there is way more to choose from as well. You also have The Garden Route Game Lodge, just outside of Mosselbay and also close to Cape Town you have Inverdoorn Game Reserve. Besides the fact tat you will do the Garden Route, you can opt to do a Game Reserve close to Port Elizabeth, but if it is to far out, you can opt for the rest close by. Sanbona is very expensive compared to most of the Reserves in the region of Cape Town, but if you feel like spoiling yourself, then go for it.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

Thanks for all your replies.

The furthest east we were going to go was Tsitsikamma. If it was definitely worth the extra distance then we could drive to Port Elizabeth.

Although Inverdoom looks good Hank, it looks to be a bit off our route we have planned.

We are going out in August Braaiseason so i know it won't be particularly warm.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

How will you guys be driving then? Will you return back to Cape Town once you have spend your time on the Garden Route? If that is the case, then i can suggest to start your journey by doing the safari part first from Cape Town on a 1night basis, with 2 game drives and then head on with the trip from there. You then make the round trip and then end up back up in Cape Town. So round Trip: Cape Town first, Overnight Safari @ Inverdoorn Game Reserve, then head down to Oudtshoorn with an overnight, then head down further to Plettenberg Bay, from there head back via the N2 back into Cape Town and even make a turn in Hermanus for whales, also depending on when you are visiting too.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

I know both Gondwana and Sanbona - and these are pretty close to 5-star experiences. Neither is really in 'the bush', but each is in spectacular scenery. Sanbona - beautiful high desert with canyons, water. Gondwana is on rolling land with beautiful vegetation. If you choose Sanbona, pick the 'tented' camp. It's a heckuva lot more than a tent. Lodging at Gondwana is a huge and very creative chalet that is modeled on a traditional rondavel - but being round is the only similarity - these are luxury in every respect.

7. Re: Safari Gondwana or Sanbona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 25, 2014