We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Probably should have posted this in the 'South Africa' forum, but the majority of these delicious places to eat are in the 'Western Cape'. South Africa's top 10 restaurants chosen by the Eat Out Awards are here... (can't WAIT to eat at them all!)

The Top 10 restaurants:

1. The Test Kitchen

2. The Tasting Room

3. Jordan Restaurant

4. Overture

5. Rust en Vrede

6. DW Eleven-13

7. La Colombe

8. The Greenhouse

9. Terroir

10. Hartford House

Restaurant of the Year

The Test Kitchen

Chef of the Year

Margot Janse of The Tasting Room

Service Excellence Award

Rust en Vrede

The Lannice Snyman Lifetime Achievement Award brought to you by Paarl Media

Alicia Wilkinson of Silwood School of Cookery

Best Bistro

9th Avenue Bistro

Best Steakhouse

Carne SA

Best Country-style Restaurant

Fresh at Paul Cluver Wine Estate

Best Asian Restaurant

Saigon (Gardens)

Best Italian restaurant

Café del Sol

Boschendal Style Award in association with Visi

Green House at Babylonstoren

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

A Somewhat predictable list except for Saigon which is totally out of place. I would suggest you skip that one Alison. I see Swellendam's La Sosta did not feature in the country's possible best Italian. Have you been there?

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

I have indeed eaten at La Sosta. Very regularly actually, as well as it being our favourite restaurant to send guests to. I'm SO thrilled that you think they could feature. Perhaps we should nag the 'powers that be' to come and visit us all in Swellendam?! When did you eat there and where did you stay?

I tend to agree with you re Saigon, but did eat there many many years ago, so thought they may have improved. Which one is your favourite? Have you tried them all?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Yes I have eaten at them all (at least those in the Western Cape) As it happens I shall be staying and eating at La Sosta on 15th December.

I have had very good meals at all (except Saigon!) on several occasions. I love Luke's food at The Test Kitchen (I first came across him when he worked in Manilla many years ago) and I also very much rate George Jardine.

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

I'm so please that you're visiting our little town! I do hope that you have a wonderful time. Gianni and Cristiana are such special people... Please tell them I send my love.

Luke is top of my list!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Awesome! We have reservations at Test Kitchen and Jardine when we get to Capetown, I am so excited! (We're in Africa in 3 weeks....)

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Personally I think that these awards are totally over rated. This year's judge has no credibility whatsoever & every year it's the same restaurants contending for the top spot.

As for Saigon winning the best Asian restaurant award............for once I'm speechless. No doubt there will be even less of a problem with stray dogs on the streets of Cape Town!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Agree with you Nic. Always causes me no end of amusement to see that Harrie's Famous Pancake Bar is always rated the no1 restaurant in Franschoek on TA - how's that for an example of not taking ratings seriously.

Edited: 2:53 pm, November 27, 2012
Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Hi Nic! Always lovely to see your name pop up.

It does seem that the same restaurants keep winning, but I assumed this was because they were so darn good! You don't agree? I know you love your food. Which would your top 10 be?

Frenchpoodle, truly?! I've never eaten at Harrie's Famous Pancake Bar, but how it can it possibly compete with Le Quartier or La Petite Ferme?

I'm afraid that I'm 'big people' restaurant deprived at the moment... too many little children in my life, but am compiling a 'for when I'm no longer knee deep in nappies' list! Do suggest!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Hi Alison, you're very flattering. It warms my heart on a freezing cold winter's day.

My long term fine dining restaurant is Rust en Vrede. Apart from that, as a really good value restaurant in Stellenbosch the Apprentice is unbeatable for service, value & the quality of the food. In Hout Bay both Kitima & Chapman's Peak hotel are firm favourites. The Harbour House in Kalk Bay never fails to impress.

In Camps Bay we've eaten at Ocean Blue for 13 years. It went through a flat spot about 4 years ago but it's now back to being a place with a relaxed, fun atmosphere which serves simple but well sourced & cooked food.

Baia on the Waterfront has pleased me for at least 8 years as has 96 Winery Road, moving back to Stellenbosch. Finally a picnic at Buitenverwachting always takes me into ecstasies.

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The most delectable restaurants according to Eat Out!

Have just added to my list, thanks Nic! Will let you know what I think when I finally get there.

Didn't you visit SA recently? Hope you had an amazing trip.

Gearing up for season this side... Let's hope it's a goodie.