We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

We are spending 6 nights on the west coast region of South Africa in the spring, around mid-September. We have chosen a guesthouse in Paternoster for 3 nights, and we need a second base for 3 additional nights in the west coast region.

Where else to stay? Bushman's Kloof Wilderness reserve? or a farm stay? or another spot near the west coast? Open to suggestions.

It will be my first trip to South Africa, and I'm a dreamy poet & writer, traveling with my biologist husband. We enjoy good food, interesting people, and beautiful scenery. My husband is keenly interested in wildflowers, fynbos, native flora & fauna, and spotting & photographing the little creatures, such as tortoises and reptiles. Typically while he is taking tons of photos, I'm scribbling my poems when I'm inspired. (-:

Thanks for your suggestions for a beautiful spring on the west coast region.

After leaving the west coast, we will have 6 nights in Cape Town & Cape peninsula, then 6 nights in either Little karoo, overberg region, or garden route.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

The west coast during flower season is really nice. You could consider going slightly inland up to say Clanwilliam and Cederberg area.

Alternatively,in view of your plans to trip to the Klein- Karoo and Garden route you could consider adding those extra three days onto that leg of the trip because the travel distance is much more and thus the extra time will allow you to explore the area better and more at leisure. That time of the year is also very pretty up the east coast side and for instance route62 to Oudtshoorn. Or, on proceeding from Cape Town first stop over here at Hermanus since it is prime whale season time.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

The place we normall stay in the Cederberg is at Sandrift, http://www.cederberg.co.za/location.html. I would highly recommend that you go through with staying at either bushmans kloof or sanddrif, the other good option is kromrivier. Both sanddrift and kromrivier are self catering and are essentially run by the farms.

Don't be tempted to stay near Clanwilliam or Algeria as it is much better in the mountains, you may even still see some snow on the highest peaks, especially given your stated preferences.

The nearby farm of Dwarsrivier makes some nice wines under the name of Cederberg Cellar. http://cederbergwine.com/cederberg-cellars/

From any of these locations you can then continue to the klein-karoo via Ceres, Wolseley and Worcester, meaning that you don't have to backtrack your route.

Edited: 7:48 am, November 08, 2012
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Melissa - if you like good food then Bushmans Kloof is definitely the place to go - it is a truly wonderful place to stay and there are plenty of tour options that they can arrange for you including down to the Cederberg winery and all round the amazing scenery of the area.

My only complaint would be that some of the accommodation is rather basic for the price charged. The more exclusive cottages/villas are worth the extra

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Thanks for all the info and ideas! I do already have a reservation for a stay in Cape Town after the west coast. I hadn't realized we had the option of going from west coast directly to the little Karoo area. But one good thing is that we will see more of the west coast by following this plan below. I have reservations only for paternoster and Cape Town so far:

Fly San Diego to Cape Town via London. Sleep London 2 nights.

We will sleep at these bases and do day-trips to explore the area:

2 nights: cape wine lands

3 nights: paternoster. (Reserved)

3 nights: Cederberg? No reservations yet here

6 nights: Cape Town & peninsula. (Reserved)

6 nights: little Karoo or overberg or garden route

Fly home from Cape Town via London

I hope my itinerary is in a logical order with interesting drives. We like to take day trips in our rental car too.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

I would recommend that you make it a full days drive from Cederberg back to Cape Town. Drive from your accommodation to Ceres and then on to Tulbach, have lunch at Paddagang Restaurant, and then drive back via Franschoek.

From Ceres it is the R46 to Tulbach. From Tulbach take the R43, and just pass the Waboomsrivier Winery, turn onto the Rawsonville road. Follow it through Rawsonville till it rejoins the R43 and then pass through Viliersdorp. The road becomes the R45/R321 otherside of Villiersdorp. Follow the R45 to Franschoek, the turnoff is just before you cross the Theewaterskloof dam.

I say a full day as you will stop a lot if you do this route.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Thanks for all the info and ideas! I do already have a reservation for a stay in Cape Town after the west coast. I hadn't realized we had the option of going from west coast directly to the little Karoo area. But one good thing is that we will see more of the west coast by following this plan below. I have reservations only for paternoster and Cape Town so far:

Fly San Diego to Cape Town via London. Sleep London 2 nights.

We will sleep at these bases and do day-trips to explore the area:

2 nights: cape wine lands

3 nights: paternoster. (Reserved)

3 nights: Cederberg? No reservations yet here

6 nights: Cape Town & peninsula. (Reserved)

6 nights: little Karoo or overberg or garden route

Fly home from Cape Town via London

I hope my itinerary is in a logical order with interesting drives. We like to take day trips in our rental car too.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Lengau: thanks for the suggestion. I assume that's the scenic route from Cederberg to Cape Town? It will be about mid september. We will allow a full day and I hear the scenery is great. (-: sorry about the fact that my previous reply reposted itself twice above. My iPhone did that not me! (-;

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Both routes back are scenic, this one a little more so. The main benefit is that you see some different areas on the way back, which might not otherwise get to see.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Thanks everybody for the great info and suggestions! (-:

I'm pretty sure we will book 3 nights in the Cederberg region, maybe Bushman's Kloof. That will complete the west coast visit...aside from the scenic drive from Cederberg down to Cape Town.

Then after our visit to Cape Town & Cape peninsula, still need to finalize the decision about whether to do Overberg, Little Karoo, or Garden Route for a scenic spring visit. (And hoping for a warm visit!) Or 2 of the above...Little Karoo and Overberg?

Hoping we are fortunate and both areas near Paternoster, west coast national park, and cederberg will be blooming during our mid-September visit! (-:

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cederberg & Paternoster: Need help with spring visit

Drive via the R62 to Oudshoorn, then down to Knysna via George, and onto Port Elizabeth. Fly back to Cape Town from Port Elizabeth. This way you see both the klein Karoo and the Garden Route.

As for the Overberg, reserve 1 day and drive to Hermanus (on the R44) and back. or. drive to Hermanus after lunch (on the R44), overnight and then drive back via Grabouw and Franschoek the next day. From Hermanus take the R43 to the N2 and then turn into Grabouw and the R321 till the turn-off to Franschoek, the R45.