We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Western Cape - how long does it take to get places

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Western Cape - how long does it take to get places

We are going to be in Cape Town and the surrounding area for 6 days in February, and I was wondering if you have any suggestions.

We'd like to explore Cape Town for a couple of days, and then some of the beautiful nature and winelands, too.

For how many days should we book a hotel in Cape Town, and where should we go afterwards? Any recommendations for some nice boutique hotels / lodges outside of the city? Franschhoek or Stellenbosch (or both)?

Would you go even further if you only had 6 days in total? Or would you recommend staying in Cape Town and do day trips only? It's difficult for me to estimate from the map how long it takes to get anywhere.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Western Cape - how long does it take to get places

Firstly I assume you will have a hire car for the whole time you are here. Strongly recommended as the Cape Town region has little public transport that tourists will use. Othyerwise you rely oin organised tours which offer you much less freedom and end up being very much more expensive.

Here are a few times from central Cape Town. Note these are one way driving times without stops for coffee, sightseeing, lunch, Wine Tasting etc.... If this is your first trip to the Cape I would suggest you base yourself in Cape Town area for 4 nights with maybe two nights in another place possibly the Winelands. But as you will see from the times below you could stay the whole six days in one place without the hassle of packing up and moving and cover it all with day trips

These times are taken from my SatNav set up for non-aggresive driving and non-rush hour traffic!

Stellenbosch 39mins

Franschoek 1hr 05min

Cape Point 1hr 18min

Hermanus 1hr 43min

Montagu 2hr 40min

Darling 1hr 05min

Remember these are actual driving times not trip times.

Lots of small hotel and Luxury Guesthouse suggestions all around both Cape Town and these areas. Look at TA recommendations to get some ideas then come back and you will get lots of specific recommendations.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Western Cape - how long does it take to get places

Hello Zarazz,

I will suggest one night in Franschhoek at Rusthof Country House, and that evening treat yourselves to an incredible dining experience at one of the many fine restaurants.

You could go to Hout Bay and get a Republic of Hout Bay Passport and stay at the Chapman's Peak Hotel for a night and soak-up the relaxation and calamari.

Perhaps enjoy a Cape Town sunset at Llandudno Beach, take a short hike to the right of the beach, through some vegetation, through the giant boulders, and behold; wine is sometimes nice with this activity.

In Cape Town, up on funky Kloof Street is my favorite place, the Cape Cadogan, as a downtown option.

Cape Town is so fantastic and diverse, I recommend planning one or two missions per day and then letting the charm and hospitality of the people lead you to magic.

matt bracken-travel consultant-travel beyond

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Western Cape - how long does it take to get places

We just returned from the Western Cape spending 3 nights in Franschhoek, I cannot recommend Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa enough. I want to return to SA JUST to go back to this hotel. And its a 36 hour flight.... www.lefranschhoek.co.za.

Beautiful and personal, lovely verandah overlooking the vineyards, but only 3km from town. Franschhoek is much prettier than Stellenbach. You can always travel there for the day to look around and taste some wines.

Have fun!

4. Re: 1 week in Western Cape - how long does it take to get places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 11, 2009