We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on accommodation and getting around

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice on accommodation and getting around

A friend and I are traveling to Cape Town in March for a week. We are two women in our early thirties.

We found some great B&B in Sunset Beach, Green Point, and Camps Bay, but we're having a hard time deciding which area to choose.

We want to explore Cape Town and surrounding countryside while we are there. What may be the best way to explore the area and also the most economical way?

Any suggestions for must-do/see sights?

many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on accommodation and getting around

Camps Bay is one of the favourite areas for tourists as it's situated right at the beach. The rates of accommodation is, however, a bit higher than in other areas.

Green Point is in close location to the V&A Waterfront - one of the main tourist attractions in Cape Town. Accommodation here is not as expensive as in Camps Bay.

I strongly recommend renting a car to get around Cape Town and surrounds, especially if you want to take a trip the Cape Winelands, which is a must do.

There have been numerous posts about the sights in Cape Town. Table Mountain, Robben Island, Castle of Good Hope, V&A Waterfront, beaches of Clifton, and many many more...

Tennessee
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on accommodation and getting around

You've picked a beautiful city to visit, and you can easily fill up a week with things to see and do. I would definitely suggest having your own rental car so you can get around on your own schedule. I have been there 3 times and I always self-drive.

Sunset Beach is north of the city, on the shores of Table Bay, and is a good location for beach walks accessible from your accomodations. There's a garage at one of the entrance streets to that residential area, and a few shops. It is a short drive to Bloubergstrand where there is windsurfing, a few restaurants, and great scenic views. The classic post-card views of the city and Table Mountain are from this area. It is about a 15 minute drive into the city, unless you are in the morning rush traffic.

Green Point is near the waterfront and city center and is convenient if most of your activities will be in the city. The down side is there's really no beach close enough to walk.

Camps Bay is over kloof nek, the pass between the city center and the coastal suburbs. It is a beautiful area with the mountain backdrop of Lions Head and the Twelve Apostles, and only a short drive into the city, and to Hout Bay further south. I've not stayed in Camps Bay before, but I think it has a few popular restaurants and some shops, and a very popular beach.

Must-sees include....

*Table Mountain cable-car to the top

*The Company's Gardens in the city center

*Cape Point, and a drive around the peninsula

*Simon's Town and the penguins at Boulders beach

*Visit at least one wine estate. Either in the Constantia area, or it is worth a drive to some of the estates around Stellenbosch. The estates and the mountain scenery are excellent. Most estates have nice restaurants and a gift shop.

*Chapman's Peak drive, if it is open by then. If not you can still go part way along there to stop and look over the bay. Possibly spot a whale.

*If you like history, there are museums, starting with the Castle of Good Hope, right in the city. District Six is nearby to the Castle. Some of the wine estates are very historic as well.

You should have a very interesting and fun trip and you'll almost certainly wish you'd had more than a week to spend there. I hope you'll love Cape Town as much as I do. Have a wonderful trip.

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on accommodation and getting around

Thank you both for the great suggestions and information. I'm really excited and looking forward to this trip. I'll definitely looking into renting a car and probably go with the B&B on Sunset Beach.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on accommodation and getting around

I just came back from my trip to South Africa and CAMPS BAY is the best choice! It is like a lively little beach village with lots of restautrants in safe walkable distance. It also offers a beautiful beach. The hop on/off sightseeing bus also stops there which will bring you to all intersting sights og the city. Also for exloring the Cape of good hope Camps Bay is ideally located.

This time I stayed at the Waterfront, but next time I would opt for Camps Bay.

Newlands, South...
Level Contributor
41 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on accommodation and getting around

Hi I live in Paarl (winelands) and recently had visitors from France whom we took to Aquila game reserve for the day. If you are not going to spend any time up north (Mpumalanga or Kruger Nat. Park) then you could make this a day trip and get to see wild animals in nature. We saw zebra, buffalo, giraffe, lions, elephant, springboks and various smaller animals. Look at their website (Google Aquila) and check their rates, they do a hotel pick up in central Cape Town (very early) and you enjoy a breakfast and lunch at their reserve, or you can stay overnight as well, they are not cheap but we thought value for money and our guests loved seeing the animals.

Also try and visit Franschhoek for the day (by car)- it is known as the wine and food capital of the Western Cape, perhaps stay in a bed and breakfast for a weekend. Very reminiscent of a French Provence style village, also have a French Huguenot Memorial and museum to visit. Stellenbosch (university town) also stunning to visit esp. around Andringa and Dorp Streets.

Any further questions please feel free to contact me again

6. Re: Advice on accommodation and getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 16, 2009