We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with SA geography

London, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help with SA geography

I am planning to meet my parents in Sun City, South Africa in October. However, I can't find which airport is closest to the Sun City resort. Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to Sun City please? Are there any safari parks close to Sun City where we can do a day / 2-day safari - that would make the trip perfect!

With thanks in advance for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Sun City
Sun City
North-West Province, South Africa
Sun City Resort
Sun City Resort
435 Reviews
Rustenburg, South Africa
London, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with SA geography

since posting this I've been advised that Johannesburg is much closer than CapeTown and you can no longer fly from Johannesburg to Pilanesburg Airport - it seems that a 2 hour car drive is best? Also discovered that Pilanesburg National Park is close by to Sun City - any experience / advise about how best to do the safari / national park - balloon ride, guided tour, drive yourself etc?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Sun City
Sun City
ireland
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with SA geography

I'd say allow a bit more than the two hours - especially if not familiar with roads out of Joburg. You can easily self-drive around Pilanesberg, and do a balloon if you want a special trip

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Pilanesberg National Park
South Africa
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with SA geography

Hi there. The drive to Sun City is about 2h30minutes. There are shuttles to and from Sun City on a daily basis for a very reasonable rate. Information can be found on www.afrimerafe.co.za.

Gametrackers offers daily game drives from Sun City into the Pilanesberg Nature Reserve.

If you want to stay in the Pilanesberg Reserve, there are luxury upmarket Lodges on www.legacyhotels.co.za or the more budget ones on www.goldenleopard.co.za.

All information on Sun City can be found on www.suninternational.co.za.

Mentioned in this post
Sun City
Sun City
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with SA geography

The airport closest to Sun City is Sun City airport but it seems as if there are only flights from Cape Town to Sun City on SA Airlink. There used to be a flight from Lanseria Airport north of Jhb to Sun City. If you are flying in from Cape Town, contact Sun City Hotel and ask them to collect you from the airport.

The hotel will also advise you whether they can do a two day safari - usually guests either do their own thing with their own cars and drive into the park for the day or they go on an early morning game drive organised by the resort.

The resort has many options for game drives, hot air ballooning, elephant rides etc. so check them out and follow the links.

www.suninternational.co.za

Mentioned in this post
Sun City
Sun City
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa