We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

Hertfordshire...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

Hi, do you have to take Malaria tablets if visiting Sun City and Pilansberg Naional park in South Africa? Any travel vaccination advice in this area is welcomed. Thanks

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

Stop all medications and listen to people on the internet.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

What is peterscot actually trying to indicate? That one needs Malaria Prophylaxis in Pilanesberg?

If that is true than yes VdC, that is absolut rubbish!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyvie

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,643 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

Not joining in this one again but some weeks back there was a post about Mossies not staying local and somebody, can't remember who, suggested somewhat sarcastically that perhaps they went by train or bus?

We all had a good laugh and moved on.

Seems like he/she may have been correct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14613140

So if Yellow Fever can reach Belgium what chance Malaria in someones luggage at ORT? A purely rhetoric question of course. They could never do that could they.

<<In many cases, live mosquitoes have been found on aircraft, or travelling in luggage, having been transported from countries with malaria.

On rare occasions, people may even have contracted malaria in Europe and North America, dubbed "airport malaria".>>

Edited: 10:10 am, August 23, 2011
Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

Better late than never ...

The simple answer to the original question, if anyone can remember what that is, is no, the areas are categorised as being malaria free, they are marketed as being malaria-free, and are known to be malaria-free, and I would therefore say there is no need to worry about taking malaria tablets.

Here is a good website to have a look at regarding all medical issues:

mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/africa/south…

I would say that this should be the last post here, otherwise there is the slight possibility that this could go on for days and days. And more mud will be slung. Amazing how such a simple question which should have been so easy to answer has provoked such a response !!!

Tracey, Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

Edited: 10:50 am, August 23, 2011
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

Tracey - the OP, janice, wasn't only asking about malaria.

I'm not suggesting medication is or isn't needed for Pilansberg - I'm suggesting advice be sought from a doctor and/or a travel clinic, rather than internet geeks.

No mud. No slinging. bye.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

You know what peter, you are very disrespectful and I think no-one spending private time and giving advise to travellers deserves to be called internet geek. I take offense!

Just learn one thing: Pilanesberg, JHB, Pretoria is like the suburbs of London (posibly nicer). Do you visit a travel clinic or doctor when you go there?!?!

I rest my case.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

17. Re: Vaccinations and Malaria tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Pilanesberg National...