We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kimberley

Which Kimberley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
7 posts
Save Topic
Kimberley

Anyone have any opinions on whether Kimberley is worth visiting? The Lonely Planet travel guide makes it appear quite interesting?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kimberley

I'm a fan of Kimberley. Highlights for me:

- Wildebeestkuil rock art centre

- McGregor Museum (with the Duggan-Cronin collection of photos)

- The Big Hole (not my favourite, but worth a visit)

- William Humphries Art Gallery - one of the best in the country and too often overlooked

- drive up to Kuruman to see 'the eye', be sure to visit Wonderwerk Cave, site of the longest continuously inhabited place on earth at >2 million years

- Rock engravings on glacial pavings at Nooitgedacht

- Anglo-Boer war history (the Siege of Kimberley was a major engagement)

Look at more info on these as well as other suggestions on the Open Africa website (their 'Footprints of the San' route): openafrica.org/route/footprints-of-the-san

I also recommend Mario's restaurant (Du Toitspan Road near the hospital, across the road from the Spur), and a visit to the Kimberley Club (drink, meal, or stay there): www.kimberleyclub.co.za

You can also get out onto the river for kayaking (or floating), there's birding, 4x4 routes, etc., etc.

Are you planning to fly? Or drive? what time of year?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kimberley

I'd agree with Kurt that Kimberley is an interesting place to visit. However, being where it is (geographically) I'd only visit there if I was going past it anyway on my way to somewhere else and not make a special trip out of it.

Seeing photos of the big hole does not do it justice - it's an amazing spectacle.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,729 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kimberley

Good advice above. It's not that close to other major attractions, so its unusual to go there in combination with say, Kruger.

However, if part of a road trip, it is a worthwhile destination. I saw breeding flamingoes on the outskirts, and the Big Hole and Kimberley Club are fascinating insights into significant periods of South African history.

Vancouver
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kimberley

Thank you to all for the info. We were not going past Kimberley, but thinking of making a separate trip out there. We will be flying into Johannesburg and renting a car and thought we might drive to Kimberley, look around for a day or two, then drive back to Jo'burg and on to Kruger. We will be arriving on Sept 20th. Will have to give it all some thought.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kimberley

In that case I can suggest the Panorama Route with Pilgrim's Rest, a former gold mining town that has been declared a national monument. there are daily gold panning tours. I have never done it but in general the town is worth a stop if you like to get to see some of the days gone by without driving all the way to Kimberley. Also the Panorama Route has many great highlights such as Blyde River Canyon (beats the big hole ;), Bourke's Luck Potholes and God's Window viewing point. Hope that helps.

6. Re: Kimberley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kimberley
More Kimberley Topics