We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip - Kgalagadi - Augrabies - Richtersveld

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip - Kgalagadi - Augrabies - Richtersveld

Hi,

I am planning a family trip in May with our 3 kids (from 5 to 12) from Johannesburg in the Northern Cape. We have roughly 10 days. My plan is the following :

- leave in the afternoon and sleep somewhere around Kuruman : any recommendation ?

- drive to Kgalagadi and stay 3 nights there

- then I was thing of Ai/Ais-Richtersveld : is it better on Namibian side or SA side ? Shall I drive from Mata Mata through southern Namibia to Hobas (how long does it take ?) or back to Upington and then to SA side of the park ?

- I am driving a Volvo XC90 : would I be able to drive in the park ?

- and then a night stop in Augrabies on the way back to Upington...then Joburg

What do you think ? Any other recommendation ?

2 replies to this topic
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip - Kgalagadi - Augrabies - Richtersveld

you will get all the info on the www.sanparks.org forum. All your questions have probably already been answered there.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip - Kgalagadi - Augrabies - Richtersveld

Hi,

Personally I think you are combining two special destinations into one 10 day timeframe. Whilst doable, your route is demanding and I worry that your family, especially the children may not enjoy a relaxing fun time. Augrabies for instance justifies more than an overnight. Its not only about the falls. It is a beautiful park with lovely drives, hikes, game, etc. I would treat Kgalagadi and Augrabies and the surrounding area as one trip.

Southern Nam is special This would cover Fish River Canyon, Ai Ais and down to to Gariep river along the C13 road. Mata Mata to say Hobas via Keetmanshoop is probably an 8 hour drive due to mainly gravel roads.They have had much rain and recently I understood that that some of the roads were closed/washed. This needs to be checked, especially the track from Ai Ais south to the river. Not sure if suitable for the Volvo.

Richtersveld National Park is another story. You would need good clearance and low range for instance from Sendelingsdrif to De Hoop. There are other access further south with roads that the volvo could possibly handle. But logistically it does not make sense. Extra fuel necessary and you need to be self sufficient.

So my recommendation is that you extend your stay in Kgalagadi and then go from there to Fish River Canyon (Hobas) and then return via Augrabies for a few days. i.e skip the Southern Ai Ais Transfrontier Park/Richtersveld section.

Reply to: Family trip - Kgalagadi - Augrabies - Richtersveld
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northern Cape