We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

Belgium
Level Contributor
16 posts
twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

Hi,

We're visiting KTP end of July for a couple of days (KTC, Nossob, TR), yet I'm having doubts about our last night, which is booked at Twee Rivieren. How bad is the bat problem ? Is it worth staying one more night in the park, if we need to hit the road early the next morning ? Or would we be better off staying just outside the park, e.g. in Kgalagadi Lodge ?

Am I correct in assuming that there are no cancellation fees when the booking is still more than 30 days ahead ? If so, instead of waiting for a refund, could we use the refund to pay part of our wildcard renewal ?

And on another note: are there sufficient blankets provided to survive the cold in KTC ? I plan to bring some warm water bottles, but not eager to drag along sleeping bags just for that one night.

Tinne

13 replies to this topic
Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

Hi Tinne001

You lucky, lucky people.

I stayed at TR in one of the chalets in June and there were no bats.

The temperature dropped to -8C during my visit to KTC and there were ample blankets to stay warm although I did make use of the spare ones located in the storage box in the bedroom tent.

Enjoy

Elaine

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
286 posts
33 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

We did not have any bats during our stay this April.

Cannot comment on the temperature.

I would always stay in the park as you can stay till closure time in the park and no need to drive in the dark outside the park.

Belgium
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answers. Glad to hear the bat problem is not so much of a problem.

And good to hear there's ample of blankets. Seems I'm just worrying too much for nothing !

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
162 reviews
117 helpful votes
4. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

Just back from the KTP and the drought has driven animals east. Very little game in the Auob valley. Roads very sandy hope you’ve got a 4x4 booked.

Big signs about the bats at TR. whenever we have stayed there ( not recently) the bats have driven my wife mad.

Belgium
Level Contributor
16 posts
5. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

Yes, we have 4x4 - always better to be on the safe side.

Would Nossob be east enough, or do you really mean into Botswana side of the park ?

We won't be going that far, unfortunately.

Your post makes me wonder: are those bats a seasonal thing ? I mean, I guess they're there all the time, but maybe they're more active during a particular season (e.g. when they have young) ? I can imagine it could drive me mad too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
162 reviews
117 helpful votes
6. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

The Nossob valley has two good sections, the south from TR to the South Dunes road turnoff. Plenty of springbock . Only place we saw leopard and cheetah (also honey badger. Then the section from there north through Nossob camp to Polentswa is pretty well empty. North of Polentswa the grass revives and there is more game. We had excellent sightings at Grootkolk. This is the place to go, watch for cancellations. We had lions in the morning and at night stealing charcoal and chewing tyres. The Auob valley has fantastic no of giraffe cos they can get at the trees, other than that some gemsbok......Astonishingly empty.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
22,261 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

We have had bats(s) in our bedroom at TR so my wife decided to sleep in the living room. However there were mosquitp nets so those might help with bats.

Kgalagadi Lodge is about 10 min from the gate; if next morning I would go away without any game drive, then I would stay outside the park.

I don't think you will be able to use your deposit to offset the cost of the Wild Card. But do ask at Sanparks. I hope I am wrong.

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
941 posts
131 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

we stayed at Kgalagadi park lodge because of the bat issues.....loved Kgalagadi Lodge....nice cabin with porch, good restaurants and small shop....very close to the park.....you can even take early morning game drive from the gate....we did stay in the KTC.....great, but very,very hot at night😵😵...enjoy where ever you sleep 😀

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
29 reviews
42 helpful votes
9. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

I would have to agree with John, other areas probably disappointing game wise compared to what he describes at Grootkolk.We were in KTC, Nossob River Front and Kilierkrankie,My chats with the Rangers in each place during our 6 night visit seemed to indicate that this time was one of the quietest for what would normally be around,however, as well experienced game goers that's how it is. Puff Adder in our companions kitchen, Cobra in Nossob RF tree and African Wild Cat in the annex @ Kielerkrankie.I may add this was 2 weeks ago so reasonably up to date.The drought is affecting what would normally be expected in April May.

Belgium
Level Contributor
16 posts
10. Re: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?

So I do hear some voices in favour of Kgalagadi lodge. Makes me doubt again...

Even if there's the physical barrier of the mosquito net, I think the noise will keep me out of my sleep.

Will need to think it over a few more days.

Game-wise, we'll have to wait and see. It's still more than a month from now.

Lions stealing the charcoal, as John describes at Grootkolk, is anyway well beyond my expectations.

If less of the big ones around, we'll appreciate more the smaller creatures and tranquility of the place.

Reply to: twee rivieren FA2/4A or Kgalagadi lodge ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northern Cape