We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches on the north east coast of south africa

new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
beaches on the north east coast of south africa

We are looking for a location to spend a few nights in late October with beach access and an abilty swim safely in the Indian Ocean.

We are aware of Rocktail Bay and it does not fit our budget are there any other suggestions?

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

If you are only after the beach, Natal South Coast is a better place. Near St. Lucia, there are no towns, or cities. The closest you can get is Richards Bay.

Richards Bay's beach is relatively small. But adequate. I personnally visited it on my way back from Durban to Johannesburg (a route i *do not* advise.

For accomodation anywhere in South Africa, try www.wheretostay.co.za.

Durban, SA
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

where on the north east coast of SA? - it is about 500kms long.

where else are you travelling or travelling from and to??

new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

We are traveling through Swaizland and hope to exit near Ingwavuma via a mountain pass. It is not clear on our map if there is a boarder crossing there. If you are aware of one, please let me know. I was then thinking of going to Kosi Bay and staying at the Kosi Bay Lodge to do some snokeling and hopefully some swimming. From there I am not sure. We will have to make our way down the coast to Durban as we are flying form there at the end of our trip. We are looking for soemthing remote and beautiful but also safe. Any suggestions?

Durban, SA
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

Hi

The closest border crossing to my knowledge is the Golela / Lavumisa border post near Pongola.

Have you looked at Kosi Bay Lodge www.wheretostay.co.za/kosibay/

- same area as Rocktail Bay but is self catering and therefore budget wise a better bet

new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

yes, we will likely stay at the Kosi Bay Lodge. Do you have any other suggesstions going south from there?

Durban, SA
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

Hi again

It is quite difficult to suggest places on the north coast as it is fairly uninhabited and difficult to access.

Mostly the north coast consists of small beach side towns with mainly rental accommodation but a few B&B's

A few places you can google

- St Lucia town is one place to look at - it is not very remote but is close to the beach right on the estuary - there are a number of places in and around which are more nature lover get-aways in the Lake St Lucia surrounds.

There are also a number of parks board accomodation camps (Charters Creek) www.safarinow.com has a few good places or www.kznwildlife.com

Further south - Richards Bay - industrial port city - not much to see here -

mtunzini is a small coastal town and not very interesting

Have a look at Tugela Mouth www.tugelamouth.co.za/Accommodation.asp

Shortly after tugela mouth is Zinkwazi beach - again small coastal town - good beaches and fishing but not a lot going on there

Have a look at the www.wheretostay.co.za site - it has a fair amount of the B&B's and rentals if you are interested in any of these places

Any further south than Blythedale beach is very developed and quite crowded so probably would not be very interesting or suited.

South Africa
Level Contributor
149 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

Slightly inland but worth a visit is a night stop over at Shakaland. You will spend the night in traditional bee hive kraal houses and be taken on a wonderful evening through the local village and experience true zulu existance. It is about 1 and a half hours from durban and slightly off the road from St Lucia to Durban.

8. Re: beaches on the north east coast of south africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 16, 2009