We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy to go to beach on Public Transport in South Africa?

Which St Lucia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Easy to go to beach on Public Transport in South Africa?

Hi I would like to do some snorkeling at some nice beach in South Africa.

I have very little money, so I would like to find some nice backpackers hostel near the beach.

I am based at JHB, and so far it seems pretty hard to get anywhere outside of Durban on public transport.

I have found this nice town called St. Lucia, but the transport to that goes only once a day, and not weekend, making it impossible for me to come there and back in reasonable time, so I don't have to spend a night in Durban and such...

Is there is some easy way to acces St. Lucia?

Is there some nice snorkeling beach hostel easily accessible from JHB please?

Where do backpackers usually go to have some beach fun? Something beautiful, remote, safe and with plenty of colorful fish?

What would you recommend to a person who doesn't want to hire a car? What would be to go to beach on easy Public Transport in South Africa?

Do I have to worry about Malaria?

Thanks e.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy to go to beach on Public Transport in South Africa?

Hello and I now see you have two posts. I would suggest you look at Greyhound and similar bus services. Local taxis will take you a very long time between Durban & St Lucia. A local taxi is a mini bus. It may be quicker, easier and not too expensive to hire a car and drive from Jo'Burg to St Lucia? If you are traveling alone try the Lonely Planet web site to see if anyone else has similar plans. St Lucia is a lovely seaside town with a lot going on. Cape Vidal is next door and KZNWildlife have cabins there but they may be expensive if its just you. I am told malaria is very rare in that part of the world but best to check that with official sites.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy to go to beach on Public Transport in South Africa?

yes, sorry, thank you. I am completely stumped by the term "local taxi" I have no idea what that mean, and how to find one, and if it makes any sense to travel long distances with it...

3. Re: Easy to go to beach on Public Transport in South Africa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 10, 2014