We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

Which St Lucia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

After two nights that we have booked in the beginning of August in the Hluhluwe Game Reserve at the Hilltop Resort, we are looking to extend our stay in the region for 1-2 nights. I've read good things about Cape Vidal and wonder if it's worth to spend a night or two within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park ( St Lucia Marine Reserve ) itself or whether it's better to stay in Saint Lucia instead.

Has anyone stayed overnight at Cape Vidal or Bhangazi Bush Lodges and can report on their impressions? See:

kznparks.com/accommodation/cape_vidal_kwazul…

I'm considering to book one of the "Bhangazi - 6 Bed Group Cabins". Has anyone been there before?

Edited: 7:54 am, May 11, 2011
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

St Lucia the town is OK, but not something that will stay with your forever.

There is very little to see and do

Rather stay as close to the Cape Vidal beach as you can.

The KZN parks board timber huts right on the beach are Ok, but not luxurious. The setting however, is unbeatable

Edited: 9:48 am, May 11, 2011
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

Bhangazi is in the Park not St Lucia town. It is near the lake rather than the beach. I agree with Navigator, the beach at Cape Vidal is stunning but not everyone's cup of tea (particularly in August). Have a look at the photo gallery. This is also the KZN Parks board site so you can book direct with them if you want to rather than through an agency. I haven't stayed at Bhangazi but someone out there must have?

www.kznwildlife.com/index.php…

Richards Bay
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

Have not stayed at them but have been there quite a few times picking people up and dropping people of. Nothing wrong with the simplicity of the accommodation. Will recommend it if you need more bush experience. If you want beach experience Cape Vidal is an excellent venue.

How ever ... St. Lucia Estuary the town is about 40 min from Cape Vidal and have some good Restaurants. From budgeted to high profile accommodation. Various elf guided walking trails, Boat Cruise on the Estuary and night drives onto the Eastern Shores which you not allowed to do when staying on the Eastern Shores, due to park rules and gate access restrictions.

So it is all what you want to do with the time remaining in this beautiful region.

Regards

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

Thanks for the info. Is there any/much water in the lake near to the bush lodge? Is it the kind of place where hippos graze around the huts?

I'm definitely coming for the elf guided walk - but don't their green costumes blend in with the bushes? (LOL) .

Richards Bay
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

Naturally there is Hippo's all over the place. Whether they will come close to the bush lodge ... only time will tell, but the water levels in the lake that far up is still pretty low.

The movements of Hippo's are unrestricted and they even come into the small town of St. Lucia to graze some nights. Abundance of animals is a given in both scenario's. The question is what do you want from those few days. Beach experience or town full of animal experience.

Cape Vidal is an excellent beach experience.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

I have to admit that I find the beaches in area a bit on the wild side! Although I like the large expanses of pristine sand, I prefer the wetlands for the wildlife (including birding). We have stayed in town several times and always been visited by hippo at some point. We've also stayed at Fannies Island, Charter's Creek etc in the past. Thought Bhangazi might make a change, especially if water levels are still low at the other two. Sounds like they are still low, though.

Richards Bay
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

Yes it is. The past rain has not filled Bhangazi to its former glory.

8. Re: Staying close to Cape Vidal - recommended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, October 02, 2012