We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January heat/family accomodation

Which St Lucia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
EUROPE
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
January heat/family accomodation

We will be going to South Africa in January again for the second time. After a few nights back at the Cabanas Sun City we want to head off to St Lucia town. I think the town would suit us best as we like wandering around. My children are aged 11, 13 and 14. Could someone recommend a lodge/ bed and breakfast in the town, not too expensive with a decent sized pool.

Is St Lucia going to be too hot/humid in January? (Reports are of 36 to 40 degrees)On the Cape Vidal excursion will there be airconditioning on the bus? Where can you get the best deals on the excursions ? (There are five of us and price is important!)Any family discount in S.A? Any whales the first week in January ? 770 zar per person seems pretty steep...

Many thanks

1. Re: January heat/family accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:37 am, August 07, 2009
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: January heat/family accomodation

St Lucia will probably be hot and humid in January. I think 36 to 40 degrees would be exceptional though.

I suggest that you look at renting a chalet at La Rochelle (google "La Rochelle, St Lucia, South Africa". It is a time-share resort but the units are rented out. There are 6-sleeper self-catering units and on the two occasions we have stayed there (once using time-share; once renting) we have been happy with the standard of the accommodation and the resort in general. They do have a swimming pool for the use of residents. The redsort is within walking distance of the town's main road where there are a number of restaurants.

I am afraid I know nothing about Cape Vidal excursions, having driven there on each occasion that we have been there.

An excursion that I would suggset you do, though, is a boat trip up the estuary on the "Santa Maria". There are a few trips each day of a couple of hours each, taking one up river to get reasonably good views of, in particular, hippos and crocodiles. The mangroves along the water's edges are also good for birding, including the Mangrove Kingfisher.

It may be possible to see whales from the whale tower at Cape Vidal, but if you were to catch a glimpse of the "blow" or of the tails thrashing the sea, they would probably be very far out to see and you would need very good binoculars to get a decent sighting of them. I would not bank on seeing much at Cape Vidal other than Samango Monkeys.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January heat/family accomodation

Jan to Feb are the two hottest times of the year in Kwazulu Natal and the North Coast is perhaps the hottest and most humid area so those temperatures are possible, but in the extreme. to get up close and personal with whales your best bet would be to take a boat ride out to sea to see them. The good news is that you can see the turtles laying their eggs at this time of year. Other things to do in the Kosi/St Lucia area, canoeing, boat rides on the estuary, bird trails, game park drives, snorkelling, swimming in the sea, Shakaland Cultural village (kids will enjoy), horse riding on the beach.

Beware of hippos walking through the town at night as this is their main feeding time and they leave the water because it is cooler in the evenings to graze on the grass.

EUROPE
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January heat/family accomodation

Well the heat was a bit too much particularly in the mornings. I would n't recommend the beginning of Jan as the animals seemed to feel the heat too and were particularly dozy. I chose Hippo hideaway in the end because the pictures showed a big pool and lots of lawn. This turned out to be very deceptive as the pool was tiny and so was the lawn. The position was great as were the rooms. The staff were helpfull but not very switched on about trips and this actually ruined my trip, see different post.

5. Re: January heat/family accomodation

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:06 am, January 19, 2010
6. Re: January heat/family accomodation

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, July 19, 2010