We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Driving

Hi I had some really useful advice regarding a website yesterday and have been working out routes and distances etc. Hoever when i try to find the best,quickest route to go from St. Lucia up to Hazyview I seem to be only able to come out with a 12 hour route,436 miles. I know it is a fair way there but I was under the impression that it would take about 6-7 hours. the route that the Navteq is going R102,R34,R33,N17,R541.Has anyone got any advice?thanks in advance.

annieB3

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

I think that is because it is in Kilometres not miles?

travel-library.com/tours/africa/south_africa…

Hopefully this site will help you.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

Are you sure you've got the correct St Lucia and Hazyview? I do that !

Shell Geostar is another good site.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

travel-library.com/tours/africa/south_africa…

This site may give you some ideas from Hazyview through Swaziland to St Lucia it seems it is about 650kms which would make it 7 hrs more or less.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

I think the issue is whether you route through Swaziland or you stay in South Africa.

The fastest route staying in South Africa is 619 km (385 miles) and should take you around 8:30 without any stops at all - say 9:30 total.

Going through Swaziland the fastest route is 538 km (334 miles). Average speed will be quite a bit less so this may be close to the same driving time or longer.

SA route is - R618, R66, N2, R33, N17, R541, R38, R40. Not sure of the route that Navteq came up with - it starts by going down to Richards Bay and then ends up at the end of the R541 which is miles away from Hazyview!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

PS All the distances and routes have been checked on my SatNav (Tom Tom) which is nearly always spot on anywhere in the country. Times have come from how the system is set up for my driving which is legal but fast for the road conditions. I am fairly familiar with the roads in this area of the country and would suggest this to be pretty realistic - 7 hours would be really pushing it and using the route through Swaziland I don't think it would be possible - even routing all the way round through Mbabane.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving

It seems we all have different advice for you.

http://maps.ask.com/maps?qsrc=167&o=0&l=dir

this site estimates about 6.5 hrs. through Swaziland. We left the Komatipoort Gate from Kruger through Swaziland and stayed over a night in Malilewane, but you wouldnt have to stay over you could continue through.

7. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 06, 2009