We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Hazyview?

Which Hazyview hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna
1 post
Save Topic
Crime in Hazyview?

Hi there!

I am planning a 2 weeks stay in Hazyview in a Lodge (Idle&Wild, Asbourne Country Lodge, etc). Can someone tell me if this area is known for crime, robbery?

Thanks in advance!

custos

49 replies to this topic
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

This area has gone thru a some difficult times in the past year.

The neighbourhood watch, security companies and SAPS have done a lot of good work in the recent past. I currently would not see the area any more or less to be concerned about than any other area in South Africa.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Krugersdorp, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

we were armed robbed at waterberry hill while sleeping in december resort not taking responsibility for that Hazyview never again---busy with legal action

ferdie craukamp

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

I am very sorry to hear about your incident Ferdie. It must be very traumatic.

I still stick to what I said a month ago:

It has been a very rough time for all of us in Hazyview, but the situation has immensely improved, predominantly due to the efforts of the local organisations like the Sabie Valley Neighbourhood Security and H.E.L.P. (Hazyview Emergency Local Policing) and I can say with conviction that Hazyview is back to normal.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 11:29 am, February 14, 2014
Krugersdorp, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

hi there

I am very sorry to drag you in this as you may be the one that cares unfortunately no one elsethere does ,sweeping it under the carpet,view the incidents as far as 2012 at Waterberry hill wont you think that the following should be catered for trying to secure your guests

1 ) electric fence working 24/7, 2) reception not closing at 5 pm 3) telephones in chalets for emergencies, 4))

electric fences connected to armed response 5) panic buttons , burglar bars and trellidoors at wooden doors.keys in the rooms to lock yourself in at night 6)at least make guests aware of the situation in the area and dangers,ect. wow what a way to spend a holiday I MUST EXPOSE THIS.

Krugersdorp, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

sorry we found incidents as far as 2008 not 2012

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

crikey ,ferdie

your suggestions might suit downtown Kabul but really can one of the main holiday areas in SA be so dangerous?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

Ferdie,

I cannot comment on the establishment you stayed at and what their security measures are as I don't now details at this specific resort.

Nevertheless, I can assure your, that there are establishments that offer most of what you suggest, if not all. For that reason I do not think it is fair to throw all of Hazyview into one bag and start hitting the bag with a stick. There is a high likelihood you may hit the wrong people!

What I am trying to say is, that most establishments have upped their security measures, at enormous cost, and that without increasing their rates, in a situation where owners of smaller Guest Houses/B&Bs/Lodges are not getting rich anyway.

Establishments have taken a hard knock financially to do exactly what you request, to now experience "warnings" to go there.

We always had a 24/7 working electric fence but upgraded it with R40K. We have got a security guard at R10K a month, we changed the armed response company to a better one, we are part of the Sabie Valley Neighbourhood Security with daily radio checks and 24 hour response, establishment owners, farmers, residents are spending every night to patrol the area, security companies are connected to the radio system, paramadics are connected to the radio system.

It's not only us that do the above, it is most of the people in the Valley and in town who apply the same principal who are part of the SVNS (and in town with H.E.L.P), spending their time, risking their lifes, for NO remuneration, to keep us and our tourists and visitors safe.

Choose your establishment according to your specific security needs and expectations. And the principle: "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" of course also applies.

Now please give us a break and don't run Hazyview down per se. We have done it all and now need the tourists to be able to afford it.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Krugersdorp, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

you bet go there and experience ,don t take my word

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

I think to diss Hazyview is very unfair, most of the establishments are doing all they can to protect their guests and I believe alot has been done to improve the situation, especially in areas where tourists are. We love Hazyview, it is an excellent place to stay if you don't want to stay in Kruger or if you want to explore the surrounding areas. I always find it odd that some people come onto this site for the first time and all they do is talk negative about South Africa, this is not what this forum is for. I don't believe in hiding the reality of a situation and there is many places in SA where I would not go, but Hazyview is definitely not one of them.

Krugersdorp, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Hazyview?

I am happy for all your positive memories you had ,hope and pray you dont stare into a barrel of a gun at 1.20 in the morning ,and fear that your life and that of your wife may end that moment ,tell that to the two business women that was raped and held for 3 hours at a lodge there and the school children that was armed robbed and the numerous other incidents in the last two years.......... wake up and acknowledge then something can be done ,you cannot change which you do not acknowledge

Reply to: Crime in Hazyview?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted