We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practical question on Panorama route

Brussels
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Practical question on Panorama route

Hye,

Practical question on Panorama route for people who are short in time. Coming from Johannesburg, and sleeping in Hazyview, what would you propose : Should we take the R36 via Ohrigstad northwards to the Blyde River Canyon and then heading back south via the Panorama route and Pilgrims rest to Hazyview ? Or is it better to go directly via Sabie to the Panorama route (R532) and heading back on the same route ? The first option would allow us to avoid taking the same road twice. But maybe the R36 is not interesting or would take too much time. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Practical question on Panorama route

Hi Hoedaf,

I usually take the route along the R36 through Lydenberg to Ohrigstad and up to Blyde River Canyon, then work my down to Pilgrims Rest at leisure. Depending on how I feel, I can skip some points and spend more time at others. I sometimes take the road from Lydenburg to Pilgrims Rest (Robbers Pass), depending where and when I plan for lunch (PR or Graskop). It normally takes the entire day, and I get to Hazyview for sundown.

One thing to keep a watch for along the R36 is potholes (particularly north of Lydenburg). That road is often in fairly bad shape, but if you drive carefully you should be fine.

Then on your return trip, you can take the quicker and more direct route via Sabie and Lydenburg (Long Tom Pass), or the N2. It depends a little on your timing, but I like taking the first day slowly, and heading back quickly.

Edited: 11:48 am, April 04, 2010
2. Re: Practical question on Panorama route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 02, 2010