We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panoroma route

UAE
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Panoroma route

Hi, Planning trip to SA, really worried about how to plan it, as different people say different things. I would appreciate help with following question:

1) Is it safe to travel from Joburg to Kruger on N4 at dark(nigth/early morning)

2) How long a drive is Joburg to Graskop from via Sabie(N4, R539, R37) VS. N4 to R36 and R533?

3) Will one morning be enough to view stuff around Graskop (God's window, pilgrim rest, Blyde, some falls etc)

4) Will Long Tom pass take too long to drive on?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panoroma route

We just had to do a trip to Pretoria for an embassy visit. We left at 04h00 in the morning. I have to admit, the first 2 hours were tiring as it was dark and the roads do not have lights.

For you, coming the other way it will be different. The highways are fine to drive in the dark and before you reach Long Tom pass it will be light (app. 06h00).

The trip via Long Tom pass is IMHO definityely the nicest route. From JHB to Graskop it will take you app. 5-5,5 hours.

With only a morning trip you may be able to visit the main view points but you will not have time enough to really enjoy the beauty of the Blyde River Canyon. If you can not extend your stay around there, go for it. Rather a short impression than none at all.

Hope this helps.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 4:18 am, May 11, 2011
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panoroma route

Just one addition (as I dont know when you will be travelling).

If the weather is not perfect and you see clouds and possible rain, stay on the N4 and go via Nelspruit/White River/Hazyview to Graskop.

You may otherwise end up in mist on a very curvey up and down road. Not nice in mist or when dark!!!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

UAE
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panoroma route

Hi, We will be going in last week of May. Leaving JHB airport around 10 am. Thanks for the advice, will keep plan B ready incase of bad weather.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Panoroma route

10am or 10pm?

If 10am, as Klaus explains, you should be at Graskop about 3 or 4 in the afternoon..

If it's 10pm I would stay overnight at one of the many hotels near the airport and set out early the next morning as Klaus indicated.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
661 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panoroma route

I have driven numerous times to Mpumalanga from Johannesburg. And even I make sure never to drive there at night. Even the highway (N4) has areas which are susceptible to fog and mist.

UAE
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panoroma route

Earlier we wanted to see Joburg city a little before heading towards Nelspruit at 3p.m. But since people around us are saying it's dangerous to drive in dark, we changed our plan to leave JBH as soon as we arrive at 10 am, thats why we thought we can reach Graskop in light. Thanks for confirming :)

Will head into Kruger next day after remaing sight seeing around Graskop.

7. Re: Panoroma route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, May 18, 2011
8. Re: Panoroma route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 01, 2012