We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
54 posts
(Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

I read that humidity and heat is quite severe in KP late December (christmas and NY period). Made me worry a bit about heat wave distortion for tele lenses. I'm a semi-pro visiting KP for the first time this year, and only have time with christmas/new year to visit South Africa. I was planning to do early morning shoots (as soon as the park opens) and late afternoon (before the park closes), and let's hope (i'm fully aware of the gigantic size of the park and that we're dealing with wild animals) the best moments happen within those timeframes.

Maybe someone is willing to share some advice. Because i might know how to handle a camera and a car (doing a self drive) but the environment in KP is entirely new to me.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: (Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

Sorry can't answer the photography question. But just thought to add that if you are staying outside the park you will need to prebook for day entry to ensure you get in as there will be quotas in place. You will need to get to the gate well before opening and you may have to wait in the queue some time.

If you are planning on staying in the park you need to have accommodation booked now.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
2. Re: (Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

I have experienced heat distortion in the South African winter (even shooting early and late) so yes, I presume you will have the issue at times in the summer. I'm not sure that there is anything you can really do to avoid it other than not shooting over long distances. As I am sure you know, the effect is exacerbated the more air/space between you and your subject. Btw I only shoot with L lenses. Quality of the glass may play a part in reducing the distortion but it cannot eliminate it.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3. Re: (Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

Thanks, yes i only shoot good glass. My gear will be:

1dx mark II, 5dsr, 6d and 7dII

500mm F4, 100-400 II, 70-200 F4 and 35 1.4 / TS-E 24 II

Mounted on wimberley and have a large bean bag with me.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
4. Re: (Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

The only suggestion I would make on gear is that if you have any faster telephoto or zoom lenses (f2.8) you might want to bring them for the low light situations.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5. Re: (Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

Wish i had a 2.8 lens as well (might rent a 70-200 2.8 II and leave the 70-200 F4 at home), but high ISO on the 1dxII is great.

6. Re: (Photography Q) Heat wave distortion in late Dec.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 28, 2017