We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

oxon
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

Hi, after weeks of thoughts we have narrowed are search to either Elephant plains or Gomo Gomo for a 3 night safari.

Both are similariliy priced but you can upgrade at Elephant plains - can anybody push us in one or other direction

thanks

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

Both are great lodges! At Gomo Gomo I wouldn't recommend the accommodation in the "chalets" though! If you can stay in one of their safari tents, it would be great. What time of year are you planning the safari for? If it's in the summer months, then staying in the tents wouldn't be very pleasant - no air conditioning, so obviously very, very hot! Ele Plains is great - standard accommodation is much better than the chalets of GG, plus you have the benefit of air conditioning. EP's luxury rooms are beautiful, so it would be a plus if you could get the upgrade. Food at EP MUCH better than GG (wider selection as well as better quality). If I had to make the choice, I'd go with EP! Big 5 game viewing great - especially the leopard sightings!!

oxon
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

Thanks, have booked a luxury room at elephant plains

London, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

Hi

I have not stayed at Gomo Goma - but I have stayed in the luxury rooms at Elephant Plains and would throughly reccomend staying there. I have been to a number of private lodges in SA and I would say that this is one of my favorites

And I also have to agree that the leopard sightings are fab!!

Enjoy!

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

hi racing 34, could you gve me some idea about cost of packahe with luxury rooms at elephant rooms. do we have choice of controlling the number of game drives we do. how do we book. Do they have pick up from jo burg... Don't want to drive..... your reply will be very helpful...

London, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

Hi having stayed there I can answer your other questions with regards to the game drives - there are 2 a day (morning and late afternoon) pretty much standard as most Game lodges - you are not obligated to go if you don't want to but these are the best times for game viewing. You cannot go on drives other than these times, you will normally get the option to go for a bush walk after breakfast which is always interesting and you learn about the smaller things in the bush.

They do offer transfers but probably not from Johannesburg - I would say your best bet would be to fly to Hoedspruit (eastgate airport) and get a transfer from there to EP - a lot quicker and more enjoyable!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

If you don't want to drive to Elephant Plains, you'll have the following options to choose from:

1. Fly direct from Jhb Intl to an airstrip in the Sabi Sand Reserve near to EP

2. Fly to Hoedspruit and get a road transfer from there to EP (the lodge will be able to assist you with this transfer)

3. Fly from Jhb to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport with a "no frills" airline like Nationwide, and once again get a road transfer from there to the lodge. (KMIA is much further from EP than Hoedspruit)

7. Re: Elephant Plains vs Gomo Gomo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 17, 2009