We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Idube Game Lodge

Butte Des Morts
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Idube Game Lodge

We have a couple of questions about Idube Game Lodge and are hoping someone who has stayed there within the last year or two can answer for us. We are planning a trip for November at the end of the dry season and would like to hear about experiences of the hide at Idube. I have read most all the reviews for the lodge and the hide is not mentioned. Specifically, can you walk to the hide and use it anytime time during the day? Did you see animals or birds and have good opportunities for taking photographs from the hide?

We will be staying in the standard Safari chalets. How many people from the standard chalets do they put in a game drive vehicle if the lodge is full? On our first trip to Sabi Sands we stayed at a lodge that put 10 people from the standard chalets in a vehicle, while the vehicles with the luxury units would have only 2 or 4 people in them. We hope to avoid the 2nd class seating for the game drives this time.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Idube Game Lodge

Hello Kodi4Me,

I have stayed at Idube on a number of occasions, including earlier this year. The hide is accessable all day via a small suspension bridge above the dry (small) riverbed. Birds and animals are frequently seen at the dam beyond the hide. You can see animals coming to the dam from the dining deck and then make you way to the hide before they actually get to the dam.

Since the construction of the Makubela suites several years ago 3 vehicles are used for drives and an attempt is made to have a maximum of 7 in the vehicle, with someone sitting next to the Ranger. There is no distinction made in terms of vehicles between guests in standard rooms and suites.

Butte Des Morts
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Idube Game Lodge

Thanks very much for your reply. Your answers are just what we were hoping to hear. Your selection of Idube on a number of occasions and not just once and out, tells me it is a good choice.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Idube Game Lodge

I will echo the idea that Idube is a good choice.. I had not stayed there myself till earlier this year, and I liked everything about it. The standard chalets are large enough for you to have some elbow room and have they neat little porches, too. And there will be wildlife on the grounds that will entertain you. I saw warthogs (their lawn crew) - inyalas and bushbucks. Hand fed a young inyala. Their Rangers are excellent, too.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Sabi Sand Safari

Edited: 7:22 pm, July 14, 2014
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Idube Game Lodge

Idube is in a good location in the west and I am sure your game viewing will be great, there is an abundance of leopard around right now. Have you seen 'Rob the rangers' videos?

With your vehicle question, many lodges do try to keep numbers to a minimum and as said they do try to keep numbers low, although if a lodge is full, the trucks will be to. We have seen Idube vehicles very full, but unfortunately there are only a handful of lodges in the area which absolutely guarantee six pax max [two per seat]. The price does tend to go up accordingly!

Whatever you decide it will be wonderful, just do not leave it too late, some lodges do book up well in advance.

5. Re: Questions about Idube Game Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 16, 2015