We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short notice trip

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Short notice trip

We have been invited to Johannesburg but the SA division of my wifes company.

we will arrive on Saturday 24th May and she will have work commitments through to Tuesday.

Can I check the feasibility of what we are planning, we are experienced travellers, driven in Thailand and Malaysia.

I plan to drive from Sandton to Kruger in a rented car, two adult, 2 kids (14 and 6) in a mid-size car.

Looking at staying in one of the houses/large chalets at sefapane lodge.

would take evening safari on arrival,

Thursday around the pool,

Friday full day safari

Sat AM river safari.

Drive back to JNB through the afternoon to catch an evening flight back home.

The prices for sefapane look very reasonable, accommodation and safari's come to £740 for the three nights.....is that about right?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Vula Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Safaris, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Outlook Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Moriti Private Safaris
Safaris, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short notice trip

Hi inksleeves,

I don't know much about Sefapane Lodge other than they seem to be located near Phalaborwa. It seems reasonable enough, about ZAR13500 for all 4 of you for the 3 nights.

I'm sure other TA;s will have more info on the lodge itself and what you should expect. They do also have reviews on TA, so I would defs have a look at those as well as on other booking sights like Hotel.com . Bookings.com etc.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Mentioned in this post
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short notice trip

We have stayed at Sefapane and the accommodation and food quality is excellent and the friendliness and professionalism of their staff really stands out.

If you have some spare cash I strongly recommend on the first day of your arrival asking if there is a possibility of booking an exclusive game drive with one of the Sanparks guides who was working from Phalaborwa gate. His name is Craig and we paid for exclusive use of a vehicle and his guiding for a sunset drive (which went over time long into the night!) and it was outstanding. Hopefully he is still stationed there. You can drive your own vehicle to the gate and leave it there at the appointed time. The gate is only a couple of minutes drive from Sefapane Lodge.

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short notice trip

Well things have moved on, flights booked.

Here's madness for you. Virgin flights, Manchester - Heathrow- Johannesburg - £480

If you booked the Heathrow - jo'burg flight without the Manchester start....£800.

Going from Manchester, needless to say.

We have heard from the company that we are their guests, so they have provided the Kruger arrangements.

Arranging a transfer, safari's and Rest Lodge accommodation.

makes most of my planning academic.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short notice trip

Well if Richard Branson paid me £1,280 to go to Manchester for a couple of hours I would probably take it!

Having been born in Liverpool wouldn't do it for much less - LOL!!

Have a great trip and try and get the company to pay for time in Cape Town next time - best city in the world (even better than Liverpool!)

Edited: 4:57 am, April 08, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
5. Re: Short notice trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 10, 2015