We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Resort in Kruger

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Best Resort in Kruger

Im desperate to visit Kruger National Park in September this year and had my heart set on Lion Sands. Its fully booked for September this year so can anyone recommend any other resorts where I'm guaranteed to see big cats, elephants,giraffes and monkeys

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Research Sabi private safari lodges on this forum and you will be inundated with suggestions, as this reserve is renowned for big cats especially leopard. We also saw lions, leopard, cheetah and those animals you mentioned. Our lodge was Inyati in the western sector ,a mid range lodge not in the luxury range. BTW animals cannot be guaranteed for any number of reasons, however Sabi is the best bet for your wish list.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Kruger NP does not have many resorts,at least not yet.Most of the lodging is in the rest camps But Greater Kruger does,because the land is private.Loads of game lodges available,it all depends on your budget

You can spend some pretty big bucks for the "best" lodges

Sabi Sands is known for their leopard sightings.On my first trip i stayed at Elephant Plains,one of the more modestly priced lodges(it's all relative of course) and had a great experience.Saw leopards mating,as well as lions mating.No cheetah,as that is not the habitat for them.Not as many elephants as you will see in the national park itself as the areas traversed are quite a bit smaller

I would advise you to get a travel agent to help plan your trip.i did that and really it was no more money than if i had booked it myself as the commission is built into the price and one does not get a discount for booking independently

Edited: 11:45 am, February 18, 2014
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Hi there,

It is very hard to guarentee what you will see at the lodges, as the animals have over 2.2 million hectares to wander around in :).

However, as said above, Sabi Sands is well known for their good leopard population, with the Timbavati and Klaserie having a good lion population too. Cheetah is a bit more tough to nail down, but Notten's in the Sabi Sands seems to have some good luck.

Do you have a particular budget per person per night in mind? This will help us all to suggest some good options for you (as well as any other likes/dislikes you have).

Warmest regards

Jacqui Sive l Owner l Lodge Trackers

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Suggest you use African Safari Consultants. Offices in NYC as well as in Cape Town. They went way beyond our expectations. And will work with your budget.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

As has been said there are no guarantees anywhere, just increased chances. Anywhere that does guarantee is probably in a fenced reserve where they know where the animals are located.

Big cats. Lions are found all over Kruger. For the private reserves, have a look at individual lodges wildlife reports for frequency of sightings. There are quite a lot of prides in the Sabi Sand, and at the moment a lot of young ones. However the big males tend to roam a lot and could be on one lodges land one day and another lodges land the next. Try this for lodge links..

http://www.sabisand.co.za/

Leopards are also everywhere but at the same time the most elusive. On our recent visit to the western sector mentioned above by Nooee, we saw leopards every day, almost every drive. Sabi Sand and the southern areas of Kruger National Park have the heaviest density.

Cheetah are never guaranteed. One family has been sighted regularly in Sabi Sand in just about every different traversing area. Yes they are around but do not count on a sighting, just look at it as a bonus if you see one. We have gone weeks without seeing one and other times have seen two lots over a few days.

Would be very concerned if you went anywhere without seeing primates. Vervet monkeys and baboons are all over.

Elephants and giraffes are also all over. However numbers vary greatly. Plains game like giraffe and so on are not what I would call abundant in private reserves due to the amount of land available. Best shot for the biggest quantity of these and other wildlife like hyena, hippo, crocs, wildebeest, zebra etc is Kruger Park itself, where there are thousands of all of these, including elephants, and much more. If you are willing to do some reading up, reviews and discussions on this site alone plus lodge websites will give more information than you will ever need. No need to use a third party just to book a lodge, where the one suggested could be the highest paying commission.

Good luck

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

sandsman another great advice thanks for all you do.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Hi queenhelene

Thank you very much for your kind comment and acknowledgment of my post.

Dayton, Ohio
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Check into Rhino Post. It sits on private lands so there won't be as many people to run into and it was cheaper than the Sabi Sands type of places and was still luxury IMO.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Your budget will also play an important role. There are wonderful options to consider, i.e. the Londolozi and Sabi Sabi lodges, as well as the more affordable Elephant Plains, but it also does depend on your safari budget.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Resort in Kruger

Hello Johnny,

There are no shortage of lodges in the Kruger area to consider that will give you an equally good chance of some good sightings. Sabi Sands and Timbavati reserves are well renowned for big cat sightings as well as very good general game viewing. Klaserie is also a reserve well worth looking at. As was mentioned a couple of times already, nothing is guaranteed.

The main factors regarding which lodge will be availability and budget. There are too many lodges to mention, but if have a look at the link that thesandmans gave you, this will list most of the lodges in the Sabi Sands, with the exception of Londolozi lodges, Singita, and Mala Mala lodges and Simbambili. You can also take a look at timbavati.co.za/tourism/…safari-lodges for Timbavati lodges.

If you give us a budget, it would be easier to make more specific and relevant suggestions.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me Tours & Safaris | South Africa