We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KNP Camp Access Roads

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
KNP Camp Access Roads

Hello,

I recently reads posts discussing rental car damages & the conditions of KNP camp acess roads.

We will be stopping at Croc Bridge and staying at Lower Sabie, Skukuza & Satara. Are the access roads to these camps in bad condition?

We will be renting an automatic sedan from MQP/KMIA/Nelpruit, as there are no automatic SUVs listed on the AVIS website (although I have seen previous posts/mentions of automatic SUVs) and are concerned about the low profile vehicle undercarraige being damaged.

All insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

perdromania - i did not see a KIA SUV listed on AVIS website for KMIA

stargaze - I saw Hyundai (manual), but no Toyota Fortuna (automatic) at AVIS KMIA website.

I also emailed AVIS, they stated that the automatic Fortuna is available from JNB, but not KMIA.

Could you please send link to site where you found automatic Fortuna at KMIA?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

CTM I did collect my Toyota Foretuner 4 x 4 from Avis JNB . I also mentioned to the CEO Avis SA well over a year ago that a wider range of vehicles needed to be available for the locations in proximity to the major game reserves and and was told that issue was going to be addressed but seemingly that hasn't happened yet. When I talked to the Nelspruit Avis staff they stated that most of their fleet was manual with the biggest component being trucks !

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

CTM7943, as I say in my post the KIA Sportage is available at Hertz, not AVIS.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Why the concentration on Avis? Over the years I have rented in Kruger from Hertz, Budget, and Europcar as well as Avis. Have no issues with any of them. Never found one particularly better than another. Sometimes rent from KMIA and sometimes from JNB. Normally check the direct sites and the brokers offering these companies and just pick the cheapest.

BTW On many trips I have never found the need to rent anything other than a standard Economy saloon - although I always make sure to have aircon. Perfectly fine for two of us, our luggage and our camp supplies - and I have never had "undercarriage damage" and drive in much rougher parks than Kruger - Ithala in KZN! I drive a big 4x4 at home and I use that for driving in Addo, Mountain Zebra, Karoo and Kgalagadi (4x4 needed here) National Parks. When we fly to Kruger or KZN we rent. Never felt it a great benefit to be higher - sometimes it is even of benefit to be lower to get good pictures of the Lions resting underneath a nearby bush!

Edited: 6:22 am, February 03, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

A lot of visitors just dont stick to Kruger . Id not normally hire a 4 x 4 don't even have one but AWD but glad I did for Kosi Bay saw more than a non 4 x 4 rental can do and not rely on Lodge staff who seem to be more absent than on deck for coastal reserve excursions / visits to really see what this wonderful area has to offer. Addo I have a sweet little Golf lol.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Correction had . All were Avis vehicles booked direct on the international special rate ( the devil you know ) and a lot use for various reasons such as the fact as I have outlined many a time in my posts they are biggest, in every province and when you do 6,000 kms through SA it, for me is a major consideration.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

No question there are hundreds of routes and regions in South Africa and neighbouring countries that I would be stupid to try to drive without a full Low-Range, Variable Clearance 4x4. However Kruger is not one of them and this thread was clearly about KNP. My comments were simply about Higher v. Lower for game viewing - as I have lots of experience of both. Given an open choice I would, of course, take my own vehicle over a rented VW Polo or Toyota Yaris anyday. But as the Polo usually works out at one quarter of the price I would rather have Four weeks hire than One!

And then bigger isn't always better! Now who was it who coined the slogan "We're not the Biggest but that makes us Try Harder!" ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

LOL V de C well why mention Addo Karoo Kgalagadi etc , (smile ) all non Kruger and please enlighten re the slogan never heard it.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Sorry if my point wasn't clear. Because all those parks are within a day or two's drive from home I drive there in my own vehicle, which is a Variable/ High Clearance 4x4. So I understand how much, if any, benefit you get from Game Viewing in such a vehicle. When flying and renting a vehicle I don't feel that having a high vehicle is worth anything like the cost differential in Kruger or most of the KZN Parks. As I also said, I drive many routes in South Africa and neighbouring countries which definitely need a 4x4. If I needed a rental vehicle to drive in a region which requires a true 4x4 I would hire one. Hope that's clearer?

"We Try Harder" was the advertising slogan, all over the world, of a small Car Rental Company called Avis - for many.many years! Grew to be one of the best known advertising slogans in the world (though maybe not in Sydney!). In 2012 they dropped this slogan for "It's Your Space" - now how much more catchy is that - LOL! Maybe they just don't "Try Harder" any more!

Edited: 8:44 am, February 03, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Ah is that right well there you go and thanks V de C for clarifying as your point was rather pedantic but nps. So long as we give the right advice isn't all that matters ~~~~