We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plunge pool necessary end of March?

ny
Level Contributor
343 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Plunge pool necessary end of March?

We will be going to a luxury safari lodge in Sabi Sands the last week in March. I would love a plunge pool with my room for private water time. Is the weather warm enough to even go in the plunge pool then? I believe they are not heated.

If it won't be used then I don't have to be as concerned to book a room with a private pool. But if there is a possibility it might be warm enough I would want it.

Would love to hear others opinions.

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

We had use of a plunge pool in the month of September (not Sabi). Some hot days saw us in it but the water was cold but so refreshing. You don’t have to stay long, after all it is a plunge pool. March would be hotter obviously, however do not expect the water to be really warm, they are deep not shallow pools. You will plenty of free time after the game drives to indulge yourself. Yes book the room with the pp, just a bit more luxury

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Hello Zralos

The lodge we stay in at Sabi Sand has plunge pools and we just love it.

Only in winter have we not used it, have been in September but the water had not warmed much by then

We have used the pool there in March, April, November and October and it was just great. A lovely way to freshen up in the middle of the day in your downtime, [between naps of course]. We have also watched wildlife while swimming but most amazing was the day the elephant came and drank right out of the pool a few meters from the bed. Needless to say we were not in the room when that happened but we do have pictures!

Of course all this also depends on how brave you are when it comes to the water temperature, we are used to swimming in an unheated pool and found it fine.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

You'll be very thankful for that plunge pool. Although March is not as hot as January/February, it can still get scorching hot with average temperatures still above 30C.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Hello, i suggest you take the plunge pool. March can be quite hot still. If you go on the morning bush walk, you will be very pleased to have the pool to cool off.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Yes I do remember one time arriving in March and it was 37 degrees when we drove in the gate, and for the couple of following days also.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Our kids managed to get in ours - and stay in - in AUGUST!

It was a bit cold for me though!

I'd have thought it would be lovely in March!

ny
Level Contributor
343 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Thanks for all your great responses…I will definitely take the lodge with the plunge pool..It will add a special element to the trip.

thesandsman….where did you stay in sabi sands…sounds very special.

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Hi Guys We havent got a plunge pool we just go in the Crocodile River at the bottom of our garden lovely and cool !

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Now let's see. Why was it called the Crocodile River?? ......................................Oh - yessssssss!!!!!!

Edited: 5:24 pm, January 17, 2014
Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plunge pool necessary end of March?

Well VdeC, believe it or not, we actualy witnessed some Americans going into the Crocodile River near Komatipoort about 5 years ago. It was beyond belief and they were lucky to escape with their lives as there were plenty of crocs and hippos around.. Worse thing was they just wouldn't listen to the warnings.