We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Lodge Suggestions with Budget

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Lodge Suggestions with Budget

I am planning to be in Zimbabwe next August and would like to plan a 4 day stay at a safari lodge in either Sabi Sands or Timbavati (b/c they are not fenced) prior to my stay in Harare. I would like to stay under $500pp/pn at the MAX, and would really like to be under $400pp/pn. I am, of course, willing to bend when needed b/c of the pesky budget. This is our first time in Africa, and first safari. It's just my husband and I. Here is what is most important to us in order of importance.

1. Great game drives. I would really like to not be in a super crowded vehicle (seems on these forums the magic number is 6 persons per vehicle). Good drivers and trackers who make it an enjoyable and not rushed experience. Obviously, this is most important. This is why we are going.

2. Comfortable, clean rooms. I do not need luxury, but would like to be able to be sit in an outside terrace off the room (hopefully with a decent view) to read a book during the middle of the day.

3. We do enjoy well-prepared food and eat relatively healthfully (not fried, fatty foods). Good food is a plus.

4. I would really like coffee, tea, and water to be included. I don't want to feel nickled and dimed with paying for every bottle of water. Of course, local wine included is a major plus. But I don't want to pay an extra $2000 overall for "free" wine.

I have looked at: Inyati and Tanda Tula. Feedback and other suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Safari Lodge Suggestions with Budget

@6062bev I think you will get better responses if you post your question as a new thread. Which treehouses do you mean?

@Cassandra00 I would recommend you try Mana Pools National Park. It's not too far from Harare and the game viewing is just spectacular, especially in August. Plenty of camps and lodges to choose from along the Zambezi river, but a really nice camp during the dry season is Kanga camp (deeper inland and part of African Bush Camps). Fantastic daily action at the waterhole in front of camp during the dry season.

Another good option is Matusadona National Park on the shores of Lake Kariba. Try Changa Safari Camp (same owners as the Hide in Hwange). Great location and stunning tented rooms. Nice combination of game viewing, boat trips, birding and fishing. Rhino Safari Camp is also nice, a bit more rustic, also has a stunning location on the shores of Lake Kariba.

Hope this helps!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

22. Re: Safari Lodge Suggestions with Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 13, 2014