We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting KNP

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting KNP

Hello

Could someone advise me about following questions:

1. Best way from Joburg to KNP or Nelspruit, to rent a car or take a public transport, how long is the way and how safe?

2. We are first time in KNP and stay there 1 or 2 days. Is better to take a guided tour (could you advise me someone and how much it costs) or to drive around with rent a car. Is it safe? I am thinking to take a accomodation in Nelspruit. Is that good idea?

3.How much costs the entrance to KNP? We are 2 persons, adult.

4. Are rented cars insured againt any accident with animal inside of KNP and outside of KNP.

We are on budget to mid range tour.

Thank you Ales

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting KNP

Least expensive way to visit Kruger is to self drive from Jnb and then stay just outside the gate but better to stay inside the park. See the SANP website for costs www.sanparks.org/‎

When do you plan to go?

Self drive is a good way to see the park and animals. No guide needed and is safe.

Car rentals offer insurance and you need to discus with them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting KNP

Hello Ales,

I hope all is well.

1) You have two options to get to the Kruger area. Rent a car from Joburg and drive the 4-5 hours to the area or fly from Joburg to Nelpsruit and rent a car from there. All depends on your comfort with driving and budget. Renting a car from Joburg works out cheaper.

2) Nelspruit is not ideal for a safari with such limited time. I would stay inside Kruger at one of these camps: Skukuza, Lower Sabie or Berg-en-Dal. Check out http://sanparks.co.za/parks/kruger/. Camps have a restaurant and they do sell basic supplies and food.

You can also stay in a town like Hazyview which is 10 minutes from the Phabeni Gate. Here you will have access to supermarkets, shops and restaurants.

It is very safe to drive inside Kruger with the your rental car. Entrance fee from November of this year will be R248/person per day.

Whether you stay inside or outside the park, I would recommend you do at least one guided game drive from the camps or with a private safari operator if staying outside.

i hope this helps.

Regards,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview & Boston

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting KNP

Hello Ales, there are different options offered by the Car Rental Companies, just take the one which you feels suits your requirements. You can also fly to Nelspruit and hire a car there. The flight leaves Joburg airport and takes 1 hour. From there you can stay in the area, i suggest Hazyview which is very central, look at Hippo Hollow, you will like it, just on the river and lovely food and accommodation. Then each day you can drive into the park, just to consider you need to leave early each day in order to see good game, because once it gets too hot, it is unlikely you will see much. The conservation fee i think has increased to R258 per person per day. It was R204 pppd, but seem to remember it went up recently. Then you can have lunch and teas at the camps as you drive along. You can buy a map as you enter the park (it gives times of gate opening and closing) and you need to time yourself to get out of the park before closing time.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree tours and Safaris

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting KNP

Thank you for your help and information.

@SwagatKrugerLodge

"Whether you stay inside or outside the park, I would recommend you do at least one guided game drive from the camps or with a private safari operator if staying outside":

Could you inform me about the price for i guided game drive

@Lyn M

"Then you can have lunch and teas at the camps as you drive along":

Could you inform me about the price for lunch in restaurants.

I have an extra question: Driving from KNP to Durban: is it safe, are safe and security an issue, are there any special requirements for driving through Swaziland with rented car?

Thank you Ales

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting KNP

Hi,

A day drive with a private outfitter into Kruger costs around R800/person for a full day. This includes the entrance fee into Kruger.

A sunset drive (3 hours) into Kruger from Phabeni Gate with Kruger guides costs R360/person.

If you stayed inside Kruger, the cost for a sunrise or sunset drive is R220/person.

Starting Nov. 1 2013, the entrance fee per adult is R248.

If you are in Kruger during the winter, you can spend all day in the Park and see amazing game. I was just there for 3 weeks in August and some of my best sightings were during the middle of the day. So, a lot depends on what time of the year you go.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting KNP

Thank you for information. Probably I go there in mid November. How is the situation wit malaria in this period? Which kind of guide suggest you to me (we stay 1 day or may 2 day).

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting KNP

In terms of malaria, I would take precautions for malaria. Best to talk to your doctor about that.

I can only suggest a guide once I know where you staying.

Best to make your accommodation plans and take it from there.

Cheers,

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting KNP

Hi Ales

Best and most economical way is to simply hire a car and drive. There is no waiting to catch another plane, check in and out etc. Depending on the time you arrive it may not even be any quicker to fly, you would have to look at this in relation to your flight in. The drive from Johannesburg is very easy. Once you get out of the airport area and the suburbs it is highway all the way, well sign posted, rest stops along the way. We usually stop along the way for drinks and snacks and stock up at a supermarket before entering the park. No expensive transfers needed

No do not stay in Nelspruit, not a good idea at all. You need to stay right in the park for the best experience.

This means in the national park accommodation, basic but clean and very well priced, choice of various bungalows, cottages. tents etc, and safe. You then self drive around the park, and get to enjoy the wonderful thrill of finding animals yourself with all the flexibilty you want. That means stopping for meals and breaks and spending as much time as you like at sightings, not getting rushed around on a set timetable. You can drive for twelve hours a day if you like, thousands do every year. You can either self cater or eat in the camp restaurants, we usually do a mix of both, great fun. You can also book night and early morning drives at the camps.

I am afraid i have to disagree with this comment >>>From there you can stay in the area, i suggest Hazyview which is very central, look at Hippo Hollow, you will like it, just on the river and lovely food and accommodation. Then each day you can drive into the park, just to consider you need to leave early each day in order to see good game, because once it gets too hot, it is unlikely you will see much. and you need to time yourself to get out of the park before closing time.<<<

If you are self driving why would you want to stay outside the park and have to drive in and out missing out on one of the prime game viewing times at the start and end of each day, because you are out driving to and from. The point is even made that you have to leave the park early!

Yes it is quieter in the middle of the day but to say it is 'unlikely you will see much' I very strongly disagree with. We drive for 12 hours plus per day and have had amazing sightings all day long, in fact the middle of the day is often ideal to see animals cooling off at the waterholes, especially large herds of elephants and buffalo, zebra etc. In fact one of our top cheetah sightings [see avatar] was right bang in the middle of the day.

Of course tour people always recommend particular lodges rather than park accommodation which is government owned and ran.

The only way you should stay outside the park is if you are using a tour group that takes you into the park, usually picks you up in an open jeep or truck or similar, this gives you a guide but no flexibility. You will get many different opinions on this option, personally from what we have seen ourselves we would not choose this but as I said that is just us. You would need to look at how many people they take will be on the vehicle and what happens if you want to spend longer at a sighting that you are enjoying. If the company promises you big 5 sightings, they are promising something that cannot be guaranteed, particularly with big cats.

This will possibly result in the vehicle rushing around to cover as much ground as possible to get to reported sightings, speeding along dirt tracks, and these trucks have often been reported doing well over the speed limit risking the lives of the wildlife. Also consider the season you will be travelling. Yes these vehicles are high and provide you with good viewing, but in the cooler seasons this also means a very strong wind chill factor which could affect you sitting in the open for some hours.

Much more comfortable in your own vehicle. The safari jeeps are not allowed to use radio contact and have to find animals just like everyone else, although some flout this rule, unfortunately one of the reasons their behaviour is sometimes questioned.

I would try to stay an absolute minimum of three to four days for the best experience, the park is massive, the size of a small country.

Have a look at this site

www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/default.php

It will help you learn all about the park, including fees, accommodation options, and lots lots more

Even restaurant information

sanparks.org/parks/…restaurants.php

So as you can see I would highly recommend doing it yourself, both for budget reasons and the unparalleled experience. Why pay big money per person to do only what the driver and other passengers want to do. You also get to meet lots of other travellers doing the exact same things as you, they will chat to you at camps, and point out what they are looking at in the bush, all great fun. There is nothing in the world like finding wildlife yourself, coming across a pride of lions down a quiet road, watching elephants bathe and play in a muddy waterhole, or trying to see the top of a giraffe as he strolls past your car. Unless its Big 5, you wont find many tour guides allowing much time to be spent at sightings.

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting KNP

Thank you for information.

@thesandmans: Could you please help me and suggest any accomodation inside of park if we enter near Hazyview, which is the best enter to KNP when arrive from Joburg.

We have now to options either arrive to Joburg in the morning about 10 am or late night about 10 pm. Which option is better. When we arrive late in the night Iwant to fing accomodation near of the airport becouse of security and safety. What do you suggest? When arrive in the morning it is better to rent a car and go immidiatelly to Hazyview, but probably we will be tired. I guess it is better to arrive in the night. Is there any shuttle to hotel near of the airport.

Do you any suggestion for travelling from Joburg to Vicfalls for 2-3 nights. There are flights for 300 Euro return in November, exist any cheaper flights?

Thanl you Ales

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting KNP

As much as I appreciate advise wrt staying inside the park, there are also good reasons for staying outside the Park, e.g. quality and rates of accommodation, quality of restaurants, activities offered etc. Also a lot of people stay outside to avoid malari prophylaxis as a lot of the surrounding areas is"low risk". It is very much a personal choice.

There is no need to miss the early morning or late afternoon drives, the prime game viewing times , even when staying outside. No need to leave the park early.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview