We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Kruger National Park

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Car hire in Kruger National Park

Hello everyone ,

I know this subject has been discussed tons of times on this forum , but I would like to get some current opinion of the people that have used Carhire3000 for their rental to Johannesburg/ kruger

I received a quote of 11.86 sterling pounds/day for a Hyunday Atos including the theft protection, collision damage and unlimited mileage.

They also ask for an extra 6.75/ day to excess protection.

My question now is : since you don't know until the moment of booking the company they will actually rent you the car, should I pay for the excess protection or take out a yearly policy with insurance4carhire or other companies that offer it for around 49-60sterling pounds/ year since I will need to also rent a car in Cape town too?

I know that for example some rental companies do not offer the excess protection so in this case will they honor the excess protection from carhire300o or in case of something will have to make a claim directly with carhire3000?

One last question : if the car breaks down on the road or around the park , will Carhire 3000 offer a replacement car at my location? Any companies in particular I should look for around the park area?

Thank you and looking forward for you reviews

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Kruger National Park

Ralia, you need to change your understanding of the service provided by Carhire3000 with regard to break downs, etc. Carhire3000 is simply a third party broker. Once you have paid your money Carhire3000 then book your car with a carhire firm such as Avis, Budget, Europcar, etc. They get better deals than the rest of us because of the volume of business they pass on. However, this means that if something goes wrong such as your petrol pump breaks down, then the hire company is responsible for you and Carhire3000 has no further obligation to help you in any way.

We generally use them and have had no problems over the years. As you mentioned we have an annual Questor policy that covers the other things that their usual cover does not. In SA this covers windscreens, tyres etc as well as excesses. We may have to make a claim on this for the first time this month and I if we do I will post our experiences. Since we travel abroad for up to 12 weeks per year the Questor policy is better value for money that the daily excess protection. The rates Carhire3000 quote in the UK match their providers. So for example you may see the Atos listed with different prices and conditions: this is because they have several companies offering it through them. However, you could always ask the question before finalising your booking.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Kruger National Park

The US American Express card has an option for primary coverage that includes excess protection (though I still get liability coverage at site). It is $20 per rental. You might check if a UK card has similar coverage. I know the UK Platinum Amex has full travel insurance coverage and SA is not excluded.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Kruger National Park

I'll add a comment about the Atos... This is - I am pretty sure - the smallest Hyundai, and the one time I ended up with one when I rented from Avis, I felt vulnerable out on the roads. If you are looking for a car at the lowest price, I would look for a VW Polo... squattier, but I found it more comforting to drive.

Stratford...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Kruger National Park

Hi,

Only the AE Platinum offers the protection, not the regular one ( that's the one I have unfortunately). Sorry, no UK card here :)

5. Re: Car hire in Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 13, 2014