We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

Norwich, England...
10 posts
Save Topic
Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

Hi all, any scenic route suggestions from Joburg to crocodile bridge gate with a supermarket stop for essentials please? We pick up the hire car at 10am and need to get there for before 6 pm? Leaving in 10 days time.

Many thanks

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

There is actually no scenic route without taking a huge detour.

I suggest to go straight to Crocodile Bridge.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Norwich, England...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

Thanks, is there a supermarket near crocodile bridge or am I best to stop elsewhere?

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

Hi Kristian

No as said already not enough time to do the scenic route, but usually once you get about half way to Kruger the scenery does pick up a lot.

Allow about six hours for the trip, that’s including a petrol and coffee stop half way, either at the well known Millys or at Alzu, both situated around the half way mark on opposite sides of the road. We like Alzu because it has Mugg and Bean coffee.... http://www.alzupetroport.co.za/

We then do our big food shop in Malelane, takes about an hour because it takes a while in an unfamiliar shop to find everything. There is a Supa Spar and Pick N Pay, and you are barely ten minutes from the park gate.

So as you see we always enter at Malelane rather than Croc Bridge even if we are staying at Croc Bridge camp. This way you get to start game driving a lot sooner, and you will go along some good game roads between the two.

However if you are running short on time then stay on the freeway and enter at CB.

Also re your hire car, if you can be ready to pick it up sooner do go to the hire car office to see if you can get it earlier, this has happened to us a couple of times and they have been great. The sooner you get on the road the better.

Norwich, England...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

Many thanks thesandsman. I like your suggestion of entering at malelane gate, what is the journey time between there and CB? Might just be able to do it!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

You are welcome

I presume you are staying at Croc Bridge camp?

From Croc Briidge to Malelane it is about 57 kilometres.

Not far at all on the highway but through the park it would be on gravel roads with a speed limit of 40k per hour. What's more your speed is likely to be even lower if you stop to look at anything along the way.

I would say you would really need to allow two hours for this drive, it would be good for you to do but if you are running short of time then don't take the risk. Our first stop next trip will be at CB but we will be leaving the airport very early in the morning.

As I said it probably something you are going to have to decide on the day. If you do go in at Crocodile Bridge you can shop at Komatipoort, there is a Superspar there also.

6. Re: Joburg airport to crocodile bridge gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 24, 2014