We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simbavati vs. Nthambo vs Naledi

Jersey City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Simbavati vs. Nthambo vs Naledi

We are planning on staying for 2 nights in a lodge around Kruger national park. we've narrowed it down to these 3- Simbavati, Nthambo and Naledi based on recommendations on TA. We are looking for a great game experience and want to see the Big 5. We do not care as much for high end Spas, etc., just a comfortable stay, good game drives, and decent food.

What would the experts recommend suits our bill the best? Simbavati is more expensive than the other two so we're wondering if that's worth any incremental experience.

Thanks in advance.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Simbavati vs. Nthambo vs Naledi

That's a tough one. I just booked clients for Simbavati. I have others staying in a couple of months at Naledi. I am staying myself at nThambo in October... Since leopards are the most elusive of the 'Big 5', it's possible that none of these will offer that in just a 2-day stay. Might be best to lower your expectations and pick the one that you like the best, based on what you see on their web sites and Reviews. The people who operate nThambo and Naledi I know quite well, and I can tell you that they will make a big impression on you with their hospitality and knowledge. Simbavati is the one lodge in that area I have not yet seen - but it also gets strong reviews and in my dealings with them - they have been A-1 professional.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Simbavati vs. Nthambo vs Naledi

Hi wanderlust179,

I agree with Dave. That's a tough choice, as they are all completely different lodges in different reserves. I might be inclined to lean towards Simbavati and then maybe Nthambo which is a great eco-friendly camp. I think the game viewing may be a bit better in the Timbavati where Simbavati River Lodge is located, but at the end of the day the wildlife moves and around and there are no guarantees regarding what and how much you will see. I have no doubt whatever you decide on, you'll have a great safari experience.

Would you consider adding an extra night? At least 3 nights is always recommended.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Simbavati vs. Nthambo vs Naledi

Agree two nights is somewhat limiting, if you can add another that would be great.

I would suggest contacting Simbavati and asking them about their traversing area. We stayed in the Timbavati very close to Simbavati last year and had incredible sightings including multiple leopard and all the big five.

If they share traversing with all the nearby lodges which ours did, that will make a big difference as you will cover so much more ground.

4. Re: Simbavati vs. Nthambo vs Naledi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 13, 2014