We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger at Christmas

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
92 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger at Christmas

We want to spend a few nights in Kruger with our family and a few relatives we are visiting (we're coming from Canada) but, alas the restcamps are nearly booked up and don't have room for 8 of us. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? Any self-catering private game reserves that are good for kids (15, 13, 11, 7)? Any help is much appreciated!!

1. Re: Kruger at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:45 am, August 13, 2006
Toronto, On
Level Contributor
92 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger at Christmas

We checked out Wild Wings but there is nothing for the dates we need (one of the South Africans we are bringing will be starting a new job and will only have the Christmas weekend off). We are also going to drive ourselves because we will have cars available to us and are continuing on after that. Otherwise, they look good. We've decided to forget about self-catering as we will be cooking plenty elsewhere on our trip. I've found some family-friendly places including Gomo Gomo which looks to be the best value and Thornybush which is more expensive but child-friendly as well. Anyone have any opinions on these places? We'll be there in their summer and are wondering what the heat is like. I've noticed some of the game lodges are described at being at a higher altitude and are therefore cooler and in a maleria-free area. I'm not too concerned about the malaria myself but am a little worried about managing my kids. Any thoughts on going to these areas in the heat of the summer? Tent accomodation or air conditioning? I love to hear the night sounds but if the heat is too much my kids won't sleep and we'll all suffer!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger at Christmas

Heat in the Kruger over Christmas - it gets up to 40 degrees C at that time of the year - VERY hot and sticky. I would certainly worry about malaria for everyone, not just the kids, as it is the rainy season and mosquito's are very prevalent in the Kruger Park. So make sure everyone has taken their anti malaria pills etc before you get here, as well as buy some sprays when you get here. I don't think there is anywhere in the Kruger Park that is malaria free -even those places at high altitudes but I may be wrong.

Christmas time is in the middle of our main summer school holidays so anywhere that may be reasonably priced during winter time will most likely be much more expensive over the festive season, so best to book something now.

If you are looking at reasonably priced resorts, you may like to try some of the RCI resorts which are situated outside the park - they may still be busy but if you go into the RCI website - www.rci.co.za - they should have web addresses and phone numbers. You can book into some of them even if you are not an RCI member.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger at Christmas

Dear Dimples...just to let you know that I found two really child friendly places -- neither of them are in Kruger but wanted to let you know. One is Lalibela (www.lalibela.co.za) and one is Tswalu (www.tswalu.com)

Good luck!

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
92 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger at Christmas

Thanks for the info. What is RCI by the way? Yes, we are finding everything is getting booked up quickly. We couldn't even get into the rest camps in the park which was our original plan because they are so much cheaper. Thanks also for the names of resorts outside the park. If they are child-friendly and we can still go on game drives plus have something to keep everyone busy during the heat of the day, it may be the place for us.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger at Christmas

Dimples

RCI is short for Resorts Condominium Inc - they are a timeshare company and they have timeshare resorts all over the world and I imagine have offices all over the world. But even though their resorts in South Africa are used by RCI members worldwide (timeshare owners) the units can also be booked privately by non-timesharers.

Go into www.rci.co.za - go into planning a Holiday and then choose South African resorts, then choose Mpumalanga (which is the province which borders the Kruger Park). You probably wouldn't want to phone from Canada, but I'm sure some of them will have web addresses from which you can get email addresses.

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger at Christmas

Try tangala.co.za in Thornybush. We had fantastic experience there in Jan 2005.

Dec will be hot and there is no avoiding it... That being said I am very heat-sensitive but found the chalets at Tangala to be ok despite lack of a/c. Thatched roofs seem to keep them cooler.

Definitely take malaria pills.